Anyone homesteading near a military base?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by limhyl, Aug 19, 2004.

1. limhyl

limhyl Well-Known Member

You all are so geographicly diverse and smart that I thought I'd get some information from you. My dh is active duty Army and will be retiring in four years. :haha: He will more than likely go back to work for Uncle Sam as a civilian so it would be nice if we could find property near a military base, at least within 30 minutes to one. Army or Airforce or Navy it doesn't really matter. We would like affordable property ie. a house (dh won't hear of a mobile or manufactured home :no: ) and twenty or so acres for less than 200K. Anybody know of an area that might fit the bill? Theresa.

2. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

Yikes. I don't know about other parts of the country but the military academy at Norwich VT attracts men like my husband (career Navy: corpsman attached to the Marines) like flies. Problem is the property is really pricey unless you're willing to locate "some distance" from the community of Norwich itself. But my husband loves interacting with the young cadets and we're looking at property down there as a retirement option. The cadets park the cars at the Tunbridge World's Fair... first year I took the husband young men saluted him. Called him "sir." Treated him respectfully. I had to hang onto him to keep him from floating. Go to the Tunbridge World's Fair this fall and check the ballcaps. Greatest concentration of vets in VT outside of the National Guard armory!

But he really loves being around all that youthful enthusiasm, and he loves teaching... so I'm thinking we're going to end up in the Norwich area sooner of later.

T

3. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    My place in Missouri is about 30 minutes from Fort Leonard Wood. Lots of folks in our area work at "The Fort", including my good neighbor Jeff. Plenty of nice cheap land to be had in Missouri.

4. RachL

RachL Member

There's a couple of us on here that live near Fort Bragg/Pope AFB in NC. I live in Raeford (about 20 minutes from Bragg) and we bought a house & 10 acres for way under $200K. There's lots of contract work out here too :)

**Rachaelle**

5. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

I was wondering if you had gotten to NC yet! :) have you checked out in Vass/ Cameron/ Carthage.. You could purchase your property and build a house for less than 200K.

6. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

There is a naval air station at meridian mississippi. We lived near it for quite a few years and I still have family in the area. Real nice smaller base. Good climate for homesteading and reasonable prices on the real estate.

edited to add"
    found a link to the NAS:

https://www.cnet.navy.mil/meridian/

7. Dreams30

Dreams30 Lady Rider

Hey FolioMark, you didn't tell them that all the land around "Fort Lost-in-the-Woods" only grows rocks. I also understand that they won't have to put in a septic tank there, cesspools are the norm.

Wished McCellan hadn't closed, now that was a nice area.

I do know of a nice house and 40 acres for sale close to Ft. Leonard Wood if anyone is interested.

8. Tinker

Tinker Well-Known Member Supporter

We had a little 20 acre farm in Shawnee, OK, about 30 miles from Tinker AFB. It is nice and flat there, with a moderate climate. (does get tornados though). Property is fairly reasonable, and there is a lot of farmland. Shawnee was a nice little friendly town, and we never would have left, except we were 1000 from home, and wanted to be much closer to family.

9. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

Ft L Wood, MO
    probobly less than $100,000

10. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

Do a search on Texas Hill Country and look around Bandera, center Point, Kerrville, Devine. We can always use another retired military guy around here. Be prepared to vote republican though. There probably are 100 dems in our whole county and we don't need any more.

BTW - Texas has no income tax.

11. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Here in Missouri you could be close to either Ft. Leonard Wood,or Whiteman Airforce Base.

big rockpile

12. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member

Redstone Arsenal, Huntsville Alabama is only 20 miles from nice country acreage.

13. Jan in CO

Jan in CO Well-Known Member Supporter

Theresa, we're retired military, too, and chose this area in Colorado for it's proximity to more than one military base, so we could be sure of having medical and commissary nearby. We live 15 miles from Shriever AFB, 20 from Peterson AFB, about 35-40 miles from Ft Carson, and 45 miles from the Air Force Academy. You would have no trouble finding a smaller homestead here that would fit your budget, if you are willing to settle for a smaller home, or an older one. Let me know if you want any links to the real estate ads, etc. Jan in CO

14. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

We are near Ft. Huachaca in Sierra Vista, AZ. Property all around is for sale and cheap if you go a little east. SAS Real Estate is my neighbor. She is located in Safford, AZ. The elevation is 4,400 ft. so it's cool at night; not like Tucson. There is a military base there also.

15. limhyl

limhyl Well-Known Member

I knew you guys would come through! I will be doing some research using your tips. I had thought of Missouri as so many people homestead there but was not sure of the property prices near Ft. Leanard-Wood. We live near Ft. Bragg ,NC now and it seems the property near the base is just too expensive. TX, CO and Arizona all sound interesting. Thanks again and keep the ideas coming! Theresa.

16. soulsurvivor

soulsurvivor Well-Known Member Supporter

well, there's Kentucky - Ft Knox, Ft Campbell

I'm more familiar with Ft Knox though. It's in Hardin County, Elizabethtown, Rineyville, other small towns and lots of farmland. And only about a 30 minute drive from Louisville.

17. ksbrooke

ksbrooke Well-Known Member

There is Forbes Field, Fort Riley & Fort Hays in Kansas -all the land I have seen in Kansas is affordable 1,000 per acre or so. and it's not such a bad place to live. :)
    Brooke

18. Hogsubie

Hogsubie Well-Known Member

Arkansas has a few bases as well. Fort Smith has Fort Chafee (Army-training) and the Air National Guard base, Jacksonville/Little Rock has the Air Force base (I think they do boot camp for enlisted and the C-130's). Bateseville (I think) has some sort of military base. Around Pine Bluff is an armory. I think there might be more though. Land is cheap every where but you'd need to stay outside of Little Rock for that area.

19. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

Fort Hood in Central Texas. Good Land, low cost of living. Lots of retired (and active) military here. They just opened a joint use airport (civil and military) on base.

20. Marcee

Marcee Active Member

look around fort mccoy in wisconsin.