Anyone homesteading in Northeast Amish area?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Unregistered-1427815803, May 9, 2004.

1. Are non-Amish welcome in the area? Also enlighten me on living in area. Insight on towns, land prices, etc. appreciated.

Thank you.

2. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

what area are you calling n.e.???? because ohio and pa. both have amish in them.

3. Cedar

Cedar Well-Known Member

They surround me…literally.

“Are non-Amish welcome in the area?”

My gosh, they don’t own a little country, of course you are welcome…well depends…they are just like other people and don’t like to see subdivisions going up and “planned” communities.

Land around here is average I guess. Crime in my town is zippo. Everything is inexpensive…

And every once in awhile, you live life on the edge and pass a buggy on a curve.

4. shakeytails in KY

shakeytails in KY Well-Known Member

LOL, Cedar!!

5. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

I live in a NE Ohio amish area. While they do keep to themselves a bit, most of the amish I know are also friendly and helpful when we get to know them. I think one of the nicest things about the area is being able to shop at the amish shops. The bakery is divine, and the bulk food stores are really nice. They also have wonderful produce stands. Since I'm on the far southern fringe of the settlement, we don't see many tourists. I can't imagine they enjoy being gawked at. To us, they are just regular members of the community who blend in!

6. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

North eastern Indiana has one of the larger groups in the US. A little town called Shipshewanna is now being taken over be tourist traps. Over 10,000 people flock in there every Tues and Wed to a flea market, and antique auction.. Most of the younger Amish men work in RV factorys which are all over that part of the state. Many of the young women work in the resturants and tourist traps. New houses and small horse barns are going up every day on Mom and Dads farm. If any place sells with much acerage they divide it into smaller patches of from 3 to 10 acres and auction them off individualy. Not cheap by any means. The Amish have started another community about 70 miles south west of there where they could buy a farm they could afford to own and farm.. The people are ordinary people.. They are not some kind of cult.
    When you are working with a group of people, the ones who belong to some church group don't act any different than the rest as long as the rest don't go out of their way to be offensive.. If you don't have enough patience to follow a buggy however long it takes to pass safely, you should stay away.

7. Ozarkguy

Ozarkguy Well-Known Member

I hear there's a large Amish area in Indiana. Can anyone tell me where?

Thx

8. skawtland

skawtland New Member

Ozark, I take it you are talking about the Amish in Pike County Missouri? I went to Elmer Borntreger's sale Saturday, got some VERY cool stuff. I didn't get the wood cookstove but I did get some chairs. This community is the oldest of the Amish communities in Missouri. Although amish have been around since the 1840's they were not in a "community" until the 1930's and 40's. I have done extensive research on amish since I live in the middle of this community. I may sell my place to the amish and have them take out the electric. They haven't really stuck to the old ways all that much. In one of the boxes I bought were horse journals and magazines. The latest one was April 2004. They are suppose to be one of the strictist communities as well. If you need more information let me know, I am thinking of buying a piece of land and having the amish build it up for me.They do a lot of contract work here in town on the subdivions. So they do work regular jobs. They just don't have to pay many taxes and such. Interesting.

Best of Luck

Lavanna at tackme dot com

9. Ozarkguy

Ozarkguy Well-Known Member

Actually Lavanna, I was wondering about an area in the State of Indiana. I will be going through Indiana this summer and would like to stop in. So if anyone knows where the community in Indiana is, I would appreciate it.

AND Lavanna....thanks for the info on the Pike County Missouri community, too. I WILL go to both places. SOON. :) Aside from getting to Pike County, what "town" in Missouri should I look for?

Thanks so much,

Ozarkguy

10. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

In Indiana it would be the Shipshewanna area as Uncle Will pointed out. In Ohio, Wayne County has a large Amish population as does Ashtabula and Geauga.

Mike

11. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member Supporter

Anywhere east of Elkhart, Indiana through Ohio on US highway 20 you will find lots of Amish communities.

We used to live on US 20 about a mile west of Angola Indiana. We would drive to Elkhart to work and had to drive behind lots of buggies. I just wish I could have lived that lifestyle.

In fact one of my father's ancestors name was Jacob Ammann. The man who started the Amish movement was Jacob Ammann, a Swiss bishop, who broke from the Mennonite church. We haven't proved yet that it was the same Ammann who was our ancestor or not, but my dad's people were from Switzerland. Would be cool to know for sure. Maybe that's where I get my longing to be like that from.

12. vicki in NW OH

vicki in NW OH Well-Known Member

There is a community of Amish near Berne, IN, too. This group uses the open buggies and their farmsteads are even more plain than the Amish in OH.

13. Cedar

Cedar Well-Known Member

Yeah…those Ohio Amish are pretty liberal, up-scale folks...

Probably look like strippers to other communities.

14. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

I imagine you can.I've lived around Catholics,Baptist,Amish,and now live in a Mennonite community.Doesn't seem to bother any of them that I'm Pentecostal :haha:

big rockpile

15. Donovan K

Donovan K Well-Known Member

There are Amish/Mennonite communities in Central Illinois in Sullivan and Arthur, southeast of Decatur. Both towns have become a tourist site where their crafts
    and food items are sold. There is also a good cabinet making industry there that claims "Amish Craftsmanship". Oddly enough, you can also get Amish Built Mobile and Modular Homes.

On the plus side, there are many true to the faith and idealism Amish and Mennonites that flourish with their farms and homesteads there. Still doing all the field work with horses, no electricity, no phones. Many of the Amish children attend the public schools there and of course, they stand out a bit in their unusual dress, but only if you are not used to it. The Amish there seem to function and interact very well with everyone. A lesson for us all.

If you are traveling, it is worth a visit.

16. trtalbott

trtalbott Well-Known Member

My wife is from NE NY, and recalls a small community East of Norwood about 20min. south of the Can. border. :)

17. HoosierDeb

HoosierDeb Well-Known Member

Ozarkguy,
    I live in N. Indiana and the Amish communities extend almost as far as the middle of the state. The closest to me are around 10-15 miles east of me in Bremen. I live on US 31 which runs North/South and just about divides the state in half. I'm not sure how far south the Amish extend but I know they go at least to the Indiana/Michigan line and probably into SE Michigan too. I'd stay away from the Shipshewanna area, as Unc stated, it's a big tourist trap. The smaller towns around are great places and have all kinds of services provided by the Amish. There is a small (but growing) Amish bulk food store between Bremen and Nappanee that I go to frequently.

Interestingly, I was visiting in MO (near Ava, Douglas County) a few years ago. I ran into an Amish man who's family came from the LaGrange, IN area. Stranger still, when my brother lived in SW WI, his Amish neighbors were from the LaGrange area too and I found out that they were related to the guy I met in MO!! It really is a small world.

There are quite a few Amish in that area of MO too, btw.

18. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

There is several groups of Amish and Mennonite communities around Missouri,in here Lead Mine,Buffalo,Seymour,Wheatland,Versailles,Fortuna,Praire Home,and Latham,which is also home to the local KKK Grand Dragon.Thats just a few that I know of.

big rockpile

19. jehoshaphat

jehoshaphat Well-Known Member

I, too live in NE IN. There are many small amish communities in the area. There are the towns of Grabill & Woodburn , Middlebury to name a few. The Grabill & Woodburn are close to OH while Middlebury is closer to MI. All of the Amish I've had the pleasure to meet have been kind & gentle. They appear to be mostly hard working & financially wise!!! Now I know there are exceptions in every situation! There are a lot of layoffs right now in the area. Be prepared to have some idea of how to make a living or have savings. The area is full of factories who have been hard hit by the economy. There are lots of potential income producing ways if one is able to think outside the box. I've noticed a change in the realty market. Places that were for sale last year are finally moving!(residential) Anyway, hope you find what you're looking for. Patti

20. skawtland

skawtland New Member

Bowling Green and Curryville are the towns that have amish in the burbs. When you plan to drive through, you can stop in at my office on 16 W main in Bowling Green., I have maps to the community and what families offer what products. Very handy to have for any amish community.