anyone homestead on an acre or less?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Unregistered-1427815803, Jun 14, 2004.

1. I wonder does anyone do the homesteads on less than an acres? any good information about it out there?
    Thanks in advance!

2. jassytoo

jassytoo Well-Known Member Supporter

We do have more than an acre but a lot of the projects are consentrated in less than that, Our veg garden is in a space about 1/4 acre. Its surrounded with a high deer proof ( we hope, so far so good) fence.Within that space we have raised beds ( 5 beds 20ft x 3ft), 10 fruit trees, 50ft row of raspberries, blueberries, jostaberries, greenhouse, chicken run, rabbits ( 1 buck,2 does), and a bee hive. Add a small pasture for a couple of goats and you can supply a great deal of the family food. Of course you would have a hard time growing animal feed too, but you probably could manage some with an acre. We have a wooded area on our place which has supplied us with firewood for 25 years. We have a total of about 4 acres here and at least 3/4 of it is woods. Been hear 25 years and raised three kids, supplying much of our food from this place.If you are careful how you set the place up and manage your resources carefully and keep your land fed you should be able to do a lot with an acre.

3. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

We have homesteaded about 9/10 of an acre for about 13 years. Last year we bought 5 acres, so I suppose we no longer qualify.

The first thing is, find out what the zoning and the subdivision regulations allow. For example, we are allowed 2 beehives but no farm animals.

We HAVE 2 bee hives, as well as a recent split that will need to be moved to the other property once it is on it's feet. No problem there, if someone complains and we are told to move it we CAN move it early, it is just less convenient to hover over it when it is 20 miles away.

We needed a building permit to put up anything that is more than 120 square feet. I got one to put up my greenhouse, it is 12 by 16.

We also have 3 rows of blackberries, a 30' by 50' garden, a few fruit trees, and some small evergreens for Christmas trees.

We ALSO have just a few chickens, because the neigbors have not complained. A family does not need a large flock. A hen will lay almost an egg a day, so 2 GOOD hens will give up to a dozen a week.

4. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

We have an only and acre and seem to do well on it...we have goats, chickens, gardens, rabbits and so much more all on this acre. We do not have any restrictions because we live out of city limits and this is not considered a subdivision but we do have neighbors. If you have any specific quesions, you can post them and i can try to answer them.

Belinda

5. #1 DogMom

#1 DogMom Well-Known Member

There is a wonderful book that was originally written in the 1940's called "The Have-More Plan" by Ed and Carolyn Robinson. Storey Publications revived it a few years ago. I highly recommend this for every homesteader whether you're on 1 acre or 1000. It was Ed Robinsons dream that every American have a little land and a lot of living. I bought my copy from Countryside Magazine's bookstore for $9.95. It's worth every cent!!! Happy Homesteading!!!!!!