Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the answer to this.
If a person was in jail and then got released but another police dept had a hold on them for 5,000.00 in warrants plus violation of probation can that police dept just choose not to take them in? I can't find any information on police not arresting someone with a warrant.

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
If there was an existing warrant, and I knew about it, I was required to make an arrest. Early in my career, my field training officer and I went to a house to make a warrant arrest. The guy had left Missouri, came to our town and goth a good job. He had a warrant for not paying bills. We identified him and made the arrest. He had proof that he was paying and was almost up to date.
The warrant was based on old information. We were required to make the arrest. I was appalled, I had ethical issues.

Later in my career when I encountered something similar I would go in the house and say: "IS JOHN SMITH HERE, say no".
They would give me the official answer and John would call me later to see what I wanted. I was not supposed to tell him of the warrant, but I could tell him to call the xyz county and who to speak with.

·
Banned
8,092 Posts
The answer is: It depends. Mostly it's dependent on the seriousness of the charge,
but also on the distance from the original jurisdiction holding the warrant.
Had a number of arrests where the defendant had some our or another 'local' jurisdiction,
along with a few from much further away; like in another state. When they finished either
paying the bond or serving the time out with us, the next closest was then contacted to
come pick them up. And for those further away, they had to then make the decision
on whether it was worth it for them to come and transport back. There were other times
that I'd come across someone with a valid warrant, but when the issuing agency was
contacted and inquiry made as to "do you want them?" They would say that it was
just too far away and the answer many times was: "Let 'em go." If there wasn't
anything that we had present charges on...... they caught a BIG BREAK and
were extremely thankful. I would usually recommend that they look into
taking care of that warrant a.s.a.p., because there could come a time
when the agency would 'change their mind' on the distance, or that
the person of interest would be back in the area of interest and
then something could happen to bring them back under the
scrutiny of law enforcement and then it would be too late.

Of course, it would seem that if that was the case (in the interest of 'fair play')
that those warrants should be wiped off the books.....but of course, they weren't.
Guess they hoped that the person of interest would swing back to their old stomping
grounds and then might slip up and be picked up "locally" 'again'.

To avoid such an occurrence from happening in the future, you might want your 'friend'
to contact the jurisdiction holding said warrant and arrange to get that thing taken care of......
some take payment plans depending on the seriousness of the charge(s).

·
Premium Member
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As far as I know all the charges are unpaid fines and court fees, probation fees I guess since he's never showed up for any appointments. The man is a family member and a meth addict so I'm guessing they didn't want to deal with the costs of keeping him in jail. It was only 10 miles away so I doubt it was distance issue. I was just curious how that would work. It worries me he's free to keep getting high and more out of his mind. I know he's using again I saw him on Sunday and he was high and talking to himself.

·
Registered
8,830 Posts
As far as I know all the charges are unpaid fines and court fees, probation fees I guess since he's never showed up for any appointments. The man is a family member and a meth addict so I'm guessing they didn't want to deal with the costs of keeping him in jail. It was only 10 miles away so I doubt it was distance issue. I was just curious how that would work. It worries me he's free to keep getting high and more out of his mind. I know he's using again I saw him on Sunday and he was high and talking to himself.
We got some those guys here it is like they are stuck in a revolving door .I think some of them roll on another druggie and get a few days\years trimmed off their time then back in the door again they go . Also I don't think one bunch of cops\court knows what the other is doing if they do they know the main thing that is there is no money for them . They rather get the average working person on a ten over speeding ,knowing that feeds the system . :flame:

·
Banned
8,092 Posts
The man is a family member and a meth addict so
I'm guessing they didn't want to deal with the costs of keeping him in jail.
It was only 10 miles away so I doubt it was distance issue.
I'd say that your guess is probably right on. One of the 'dirty little secrets'
of many smaller departments who get to know the local ne'er-do-wells, is
when they soon discover who has burnt their bridges with families/friends
and who hasn't. They don't want to actually keep those people locked up
for very long, as it costs them more than they can ever get back in fines, etc.
Add to that, the additional costs for those who are constantly sick and
going thru withdrawals and it becomes a nightmare that most departments
don't want to deal with. Being that addicts barely have enough cash to get their next fix.......
seeing as they've usually lost their jobs, family, friends,,,,,, what hope is there for them
of scraping together enough money to post bond/pay fines, or for someone else to do so?

Even most bondsman shy away after being burnt once or twice.....

10 miles is nothing for picking someone up if they REALLY wanted to.

Now.....if he ever cleans his act up and starts staying sober.....
I'm sure they'll be happy to make those warrants 'active' again.

Reactions: Sawmill Jim

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
Could be too they figure he could lead them to a bigger fish if they leave him out, or that he'll do something that will make arresting and holding him worth the money.. .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts