Anyone here west of Chattanooga,TN?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by dommyroo, Nov 15, 2004.

1. dommyroo

dommyroo Active Member

Can you tell us where would be the best places to live where I can have my chickens and big garden? May be moving to this area for bridge construction job over lake at I-24. Can't be too far from city either as I want to get my LPN training. Any advice or suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks. :)

2. dommyroo

dommyroo Active Member

Plan to visit over Thanksgiving weekend
    No one knows anything? :confused:

3. BobBoyce

BobBoyce Well-Known Member

Wish I could help but I'm 90 miles or so east of Chattanooga. Lots of agricultural area in eastern TN.

4. Dixie912

Dixie912 Well-Known Member

I have tried twice with a LONG answer and it won't go through.....

5. Dixie912

I will send several short answers instead.....

We live in Whitwell, Tennessee, just west of Chattanooga in the Sequatchie Valley. I-24, exit 155. Very near the Nickajack Lake bridge you were talking about. We have been here for 7 years and love it. No traffic. If you see two cars on the way to school in the morning that's a lot. Most people here are farmers, or work in Chattanooga and drive either by interstate or over Suck Creek Mountain, about 40 minutes each way. Used to be a lot of coal miners until; the mines close din the early 70s.
    If you want to go to college, you can go to UTC or Chattanooga State Technical Comm. College, about 45 minutes to each from here. Chattanooga State also has a campus in Kimball, about 15 miles from here. That would be your best bet.....

6. Dixie912

The schools gere are very good with less than 400 students per school. The middle school has received national atteneion recently for their Holocaust paperclip project. There will be a movie out about them later this month. The high school has about 375 students which is good and bad. Good football team, very small band. Few opportunities for extras. The schools are accredited and an amazing number of students go on to college.

7. Dixie912

The Sequatchie Valley has two mountain ranges with a 10 mile valley in between. The views here are incredible. There is white water rafting nearby, lots of four wheeling, and this is known as the hang gliding capitol of the U.S. Lots of good hunting and hiking.
    Land here is reasonable. When we moved here 7 years ago we got 66 acres at $600/acre. There are not a lot of houses to buy, but with the new Lowes opening in December, building won't be the hassle it used to be.
    We don't get a lot of snow, just a little here and there, and if you can smell the snow coming, they close all of the schools. It's hard for busses to get around on the mountains in bad weather. The snow is usually gone within 2 days.

8. Dixie912

People here are very friendly and down to earth. You see a of of overalls and cowboy boots. There is a horse show every weekend in the summer. There is also a Labor Day parade and a Christmas parade, and if you're not in them, you are definately watching. The kids dress up their horses and 4 wheelers and go from the end of the main street to the city park for a huge cook out and beauty pagent.
    There are a few really good country cooking restaurants with great food and occasionally great entertainment. The event of the season is to go to Harry Joe Hooper's funeral home on the night after Thanksgiving to listen to "Crab Grass" pick and grin (if there are no deceased folks taking up the space.) Our nearset shopping is Walmart, about 15 miles away in Kimball. We have Dollar General and a small grocery store for the essentials... and several feed stores.

9. Dixie912

This is the prettiest place in the world. Many of the people are not the wealthiest, but they are good people. There are lots of trailer parks in the valley, as anywhere in the south. Just take a ride up any of the mountain roads and look back. It will take your breath away.
    By the way... this is all a secret. We don't want word to get out. We want things to stay just the way they are.
    If I can help in any way, just give me a yell. The sound travels for miles on this mountain!!

10. Dixie912

I forgot..... no restrictions on animals here. We have 3 dogs, 2 cats, chickens, guineas, geese, and wildlife everywhere. Most people own horses.