Anyone here know anything about washing machines?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Nik, Feb 23, 2005.

1. Nik

Nik Well-Known Member

We just moved to our new place so when we started having problems last week with our washing machine filling up REALLY slow with cold water (I mean like all day to fill up the tub) I figured it was just the well at our old place. Well I hooked up the machine here and threw a load in only to see it doing the same thing again. Anybody else ever have this happen? Any ideas on what could be the problem?
    Thanks,
    Nik

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Have you checked the screens in each end of the water hoses? Where the hose connects to the machine look at the connection on the washer for a screen.

3. Nik

Nik Well-Known Member

Thanks, I'll go check that out.

Nik

4. busybee64

busybee64 Member

could be the screens, could be the hoses connected backwards, or it culd be the water inlet valve .

5. mysticokra

mysticokra Well-Known Member

Unhook the hose from the back of the washer and let it fill a five gallon bucket.
    If it does it in around a minute, then you know you have decent volume up to that point.

You might try putting a shop-vac up to the inlet valve screen to pull out lint or other debris.

Also, does it fill any faster with warm water, as opposed to hot or cold?

6. Nik

Nik Well-Known Member

I sure appreciate all the help on the washing machine problem. It turned out to be what busybee said, a clogged up inlet screen. I unhooked it, cleaned the screen and WHAM, it filled up at the normal rate.
    Thanks again,
    Nik

7. BeeFree

BeeFree Well-Known Member Supporter

After reading I was going to reply with the same suggestion, the screen inlet.

Mine does that and has to be cleaned about every 2 months.

I guess there is a lot of debris that gets through the well and stops them up. :D