anyone here in southern Co?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by reitenger, Oct 9, 2005.

1. reitenger

reitenger Well-Known Member

It looks like we are going to be heading down to southern colorado this summer. The alamosa area to be more exact. We were wondering if there were any other people on the forum that were in the area already. The wife is going to be going to trinidad state, and sue to our animal situation and personal preferences, we are looking into 40 acres and putting up a small 2 room cabin on it, hopefully straw bale. I'm sure the great pyr will love having property to patrol again as he hasn't taken to city living all that well. We will be completely off grid, using solar and maybe wind, and having to haul water as the price of a well is kinda cost prohibitive. Just wanted to see if ther were any others.

2. nodak3

nodak3 Well-Known Member Supporter

DD went to Adams State, and we all live in Trinidad. Welcome! Be sure and read up on our strange water laws.

3. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Well-Known Member

I grew up in Alamosa country, lived in Mosca and Fort Garland also. Good country. But clannish as all heck. Don't trust you much until you'ved lived there for 25 or so years. Ha, ha, shadowwalker

4. DrippingSprings

DrippingSprings In Remembrance

I agree I would brush up on my water rights

5. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm over the Sangre De Cristo range between Salida and Westcliffe.

Water laws aren't that weird. If your land title says you own surface water rights, you can use stream or runoff. I asked a state inspector about water catchment systems, and he said that, if you don't own rights to the surface water, you can't do it legally, but he then said they never look for that.

Technically, water catchment is illegal throughout the US if you don't own surface water rights. I just that so many rivers originate in CO, that downstream, out of state users get legal. Kansas sued CO for allowing too many wells along the Arkansas river basing and won $400 million. Arizona, and CA also have good lawyers. But if you already have a well, and you don't advertise a water catchment system, you won't be bothered.

6. nodak3

nodak3 Well-Known Member Supporter

There are also laws concerning how much acreage is required before you can get a well permit, and laws concerning what you can do with "outdoor" water. But true, all except the wells don't seem really inforced if you keep your mouth shut and just do it.