Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Mom and College Kid
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for information on a chinese crested my neighbor is thinking getting a chinese crested powder puff? Are they good with kids and other animals? She's a disbaled Mom with two kids,and has a very very shy chihuahua and a coiple of rescue cats. white

·
Premium Member
3,912 Posts
Supposedly very hard to housebreak. Same with mini pinschers.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I bred Crested for a few years but could not justify bringing pups into the world that no one wanted. It was almost impossible to find homes for pet quality hairless males.

They can be difficult to house train however I have only found this to be true in situations where there are a lot of dogs. Those I sold to pet homes where they were the only dog or one of just a couple, they were the average dog to house train. They don't learn as fast as some but with consistency, they can be house trained. I will say that unneutered males are VERY difficult to house train...but then, if you want a pet, spaying or neutering should be high on the to do list.

The powder puffs require regular grooming, which the average owner is not up to. The choices would be regular trips to the groomer, while still grooming regularly at home. Or....clipping the hair off. If they are clipped, the groomer should groom the powderpuff to have the same hair pattern as the hairless.

They are very sweet dogs with average intelligence. They aren't yappy like some although there is the occassional barker.

Hope all this helps.

Willow101

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
I had CCs as well. the puffs seem smarter then the hairless or hairy hairless. My dad had a well bred puff from Cordova that learned to heel off leash in only 2 hours. He was very reliable in the house. He was fixed! The best dog you could ask for.Some are hard to live with if not bred carefully. The hair isn't that bad once you are out of the puppy hair stage. This is his niece in her gagglie stage.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Sorry to dig up an older thread... I have Cresteds. I show (though not recently) and have bred one litter. I agree with most of what has been said. I have found the puffs to be more laid back and they were cleaner as puppies. Housetraining can be tasking with them, but as was mentioned, about average is they are the only dog. Smart pups, the male PP from my litter earned his AKC CGC at 6 mo. old and is well on his way to being a therapy dog. If you would like to see my guys, my website is www.freewebs.com/songhollow I have some info on health testing on there that should be the minimum for any breeder she is looking at. I do know a few, so if you want to ask about certain breeders or have questions about anything else, feel free to ask!

Let me add... they get along with my boxer, one cat they love and one they chase, probably cause he is a brat! They were raised with my 4 yo and 11 yo, and my youngest would spend time in the puppy pen everyday. They do need supervision with kids of course, same as any dog, and also being a smaller breed it is easy for a child to accidentally hurt them. all of mine are unaltered, as we show. I currently have 4, mom and dad and 2 pups from the first litter. My unaltered male is good in the house, we only need belly bands when the girls are in heat, then he wants to mark.

They PP do have a period where they require a bit more grooming... growing out of the puppy coat and they can "blow coat". But if they have a proper coat a quik comb through will keep them nice. or there is always the "pony cut" where they are cut down to resemble a HL.

Sorry so long... hehe, love my breed!

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Don't agree with the average intelligence thing. I groom a few had a friend who had several and did agaility with them, some of you may have seen the tribute video to her and Diva on youtube. 4 weeks before she passed away she did one last run with Diva and did a super G and won her ADCH. It was a wondeful experience for all of us who knew her. Her dogs did many things for her and she never trained them to do them. Your friend might be able t train a CC to help her

·
Registered
475 Posts
Oh!!! So many Crested breeders....I just gotta brag!!! I was fortunate to breed several champions but the most notable was a *****....AKC Ch. Gemini I'm Too Sexy of Tobore. She was the number 1 female in the country in 1994 and number 2 overall. She also won an Award of Merit at Westminster.

To get back to the real topic....hairless Cresteds have severe dental problems and often loose most of their teeth by the age of three or four. The canine teeth look more like tusks...very primitive. So if you are considering a hairless you have to consider dietary issues due to lack of teeth.

Willow101

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Willow what year at Westminster? 94? if it was 95 I may well have seen her I was there with a Pyr who took AOM that year the year before and the next year. I only wish they'd improve that venue for the dogs!

·
Registered
117 Posts
I had a Chinese Crested, a true hairless male. He was an adult when I got him and he was intact so he did take a long time to fully housetrain. It wasn't from lack of intelligence though. Gizmo was one of the brightest dogs I have ever had. He took to clicker training right away and he was a fun dog to train. He had great skin and minimal body hair so he was easy to keep looking good with just a couple baths a month.

Willow101, I understand what you mean about breeding a breed no one wants. I had planned to breed Cresteds but when I learned how hard it was to find homes for anything but hairless females, I changed my mind.

I have considered getting another Crested but this time a powderpuff. I have a few questions about grooming.

1.) Do pp males soil their coats when they urinate?

2.) What tools do you use to groom them? A slicker? A pin brush? Comb only?

3.) How often do you need to groom them to keep them tangle-free?

4.) For a show coat, do you have to keep the coat wrapped in foil packets like you would a Maltese or Yorkie?

Thanks!

·
Registered
104 Posts
1.) Do pp males soil their coats when they urinate?

Some do, the male my mom took from my last litter did for awhile, then he learned to lift better! No my hairless male, he still pees on his front foot!

2.) What tools do you use to groom them? A slicker? A pin brush? Comb only?

Some use slickers on the legs. I use a pin brush occasionally, but I prefer to comb my girl out. There have been a lot of raves about the teflon combs, but i havent gotten oneyet to try. I use a med/fine greyhound comb.

3.) How often do you need to groom them to keep them tangle-free?

I comb my girl out every couple of days... as they go from puppy to adult coat some need dailey grooming, but a correct coat doesnt need a lot... evry few days, to at least once a week.

4.) For a show coat, do you have to keep the coat wrapped in foil packets like you would a Maltese or Yorkie?

Nope, not if its correct! But a few people like to do the occasional oil. just a really light oil treatment can help, especially with an active dog... mine loves the mud and puddles! LOL

·
Registered
475 Posts
I ment to reply to the CC questions yesterday...and then forgot.

I agree with MoonMedic on just about everything.

Powder Puff show coats do need some special care as you want them as long as possible. I kept my show puff 'in oil' during his entire show career. I used Bio Groom Super Creme and the directions are on the label. It really helped maximize length.

Keeping the 'privates' and surrounding area is easy. Just use a #10 blade and clean the hair away. If done correctly you won't see it when the dog is standing. It also eliminates getting out those pesky mats between the hind legs. It is a very tender area and tangle removal in these areas is time consuming...or painful to the dog.

Another thing to consider...especially if you are looking at getting a hairless. Skin texture is inherited. Soft smooth baby butt quality skin is not a product of the environment. Obviously, good management improves skin but some dogs just naturally have either lovely or awful skin texture. Most of the dogs I had had lovely skin but I still used Corn Huskers Lotion on them after baths.

Willow101

·
Super Mom and College Kid
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update I forgot about this. Anyway my friend decided not to get one. the puppies parents were thirty pounds each. and kind of off looking like they were mixed. thanks all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts