Anyone here grow peanuts in the garden

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by John_in_Houston, Dec 16, 2004.

1. John_in_Houston

John_in_Houston Well-Known Member

Has anyone here grown peanuts in their garden? How did it work out?

2. featherbottom

featherbottom Well-Known Member

3. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

We grew them for the first time this year and are planning to grow lots more next year. We didn't go to any particular trouble with them, planted them in field rows and dusted once with gypsum. We didn't water them (it was a good year here rainwise) and didn't fertilize them. We weeded the plot a couple of times and hoed around the plants to loosen the surface (we have a clay soil). Yield was about 9-1 from seed (Virginia peanuts treated with captan), germination was close to 100%. An added benefit is the nitrogen fixing property of peanuts - we saw large nodes on the spent plants. In a small garden they wouldn't make a lot of sense, but we have plenty of space and I like to know where our food comes from. We have eaten all of this year's harvest already so we plan to plant about 6 times the amount next year and would like to get untreated seed (it is not available locally).

4. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

We grew them when I was a kid, and next year they'll be in our garden. Sure, I can buy them cheap, but they are good for the soil, the nuts are for my fall granola, and they're a 'comfort plant' for me that reminds me of my childhood. (more than one reason to grow a plant!)

Meg :)

5. John_in_Houston

John_in_Houston Well-Known Member

I was thinking of growing a patch and then letting a couple of pigs root them out.

6. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

I'm way to far north to grow peanuts (zone 2b). but one year when I was in a fanatic stage with experimenting to find what could grow here and planted a few of a 'hardy' strain of peanut. It grew nice bush and a few unripe pods.
    Was fun to try, though. I believe we are at least about 30 days too short for the growing season on peanuts.

7. amwitched

amwitched Well-Known Member

I tried twice this season with no luck. It seemed like the "seed" got moldy and only 2 germinated. Those two seemed to grow a little and lasted all season but only got about 3" high.

Where is a good place to get good reliable seed?

8. ed/IL

ed/IL Well-Known Member

A friend planted them in the drum of a old wash machine. The part with the holes in it. Not sure why he did it that way but he said it worked great. Perhaps because he had the drum sitting there and his soil was not the greatest.

9. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

Every couple years I pick up a bag of raw peanuts at the grocery store and plant them as a green manure. Usually in April/May as summer is our fallow season in S Fl. Usually such a small amt that we indulge ourselves in boilrd pranuts- too much salt for regular consumption.

10. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I'd love to grow some of those great big 'goobers'. Does anyone know where I could get seed? Lady I worked with in MS used to bring boiled goobers to work and we would pig on them. Never see any in the store.

11. JackieA

JackieA Well-Known Member

12. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

My dad has always grown a patch of peanuts. As a kid I hated having to pick off peanuts after school, but I loved the peanut brittle my mom made at Christmas every year!

13. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

While I haven't grown any peanuts since 1997, I did grow several 200' rows back then. Unfortunately the supply pipe to bring irrigation water to the area was back ordered and they suffered from lack of moisture.

I planted by hand rather than with a planter. I had heard that the skin on the nut must not be broken or that it would not germinate, hence the hand planting. I did plant some with broken skins and they seemed to come up just fine too.
    Anyone know for sure? I'd like to plant mechanically next time.

This looks to be some pretty good information on their growth.
    http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/hortnews/1997/5-2-1997/peanuts.html

14. swamp_deb

swamp_deb Well-Known Member

Every year when the green peanuts come in, I gain weight !!!!!!! Mama and Daddy says that's why they used to turn the hogs in the peanut patch after the plants were pulled up and the peanuts removed. So John, if those peanuts make and you put pigs in the peanut patch, they are sure to get fat :) My garden is too small but my 79 year old Dad still plants a few rows in his garden. I just buy them at the grocers to boil and freeze for the long winter.
    Reading about the gypsum reminded me that my Dad calls what he puts on them land plaster.

Plant them and they will come. :D