Anyone here from TN?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by QueenB04, Feb 20, 2005.

1. QueenB04

QueenB04 Well-Known Member

Hey everybody!

I was wondering if anyone here is from TN? I'm from Virginia but my husband and I honemooned in Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. We immediately fell in love with the land, especially as we drove through the more rural areas of Sevier County. I was wondering if anyone might be able to recomend some realty services, and different areas within TN. We're looking forward to going back and spend a few days exploring the outlying areas. We're looking to get out in the country but be along the mountains. Look forward to talking with some people. Beautiful state!
    :D

2. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

i do. it is beautiful country. can't really recommend a realtor, but an online search for realtors in sevier county will bring up many of them.

kind of off topic, but what did you all think about gatlinburg and pigeon forge?

3. CountryFried

CountryFried Well-Known Member

I am ! My dad is from Gatlinburg and my mom's family from Cades Cove. I live in Maryville close to the mnts. , but about an hour drive to Pigeon Forge. Dwight Price is a great realtor we have used. He's supposed to be #1 in Maryville, and surrounding areas. His # is 1-877-I SELL TN (473 5586) toll free. or 865-977-0770. My sis used him as well. Good luck on finding something !

4. QueenB04

Marvella,

Thanks for the reply! I've done the searches but I'm having a tough time, mostly cabin ads, time share type deals, and alot of commercial realtors no small town stuff.
    We loved both areas, couldn't live in Pigeon Forge, too much going on but it was awesome to visit! We went out to dinner several places, loved the Dixie Stampede, hit alot of the Ripley's stuff in Gatlinburg and enjoyed the stores. I liked Dollywood, completely diff. pace then Kings Dominion/Busch Gardens. Gatlinburg is defintely a ski town. But it was lovely, we both really enjoyed the atmosphere of it, a little crowded during the day along the sidewalks and with traffic, but in the evening on the weeknight that we were there in Nov. very quiet. Our cabin was great we went though Black Bear Lodging, and we were down and off of Walden's Creek Road. We appreciated how quiet it was, a little surprised by how many other cabins were around, it's really a community but you hardly notice anyone else. Winterfest was a nice experience but we didn't get to see downtown Sevierville, had alot to put into 6 days. Noticed the BIG X-mas theme everywhere, it was nice put me in the spirit. Overall all no complaints, really loved it and we're hooked. Where are you from? Feel free to PM me.

5. Senior

Senior Active Member

Hi,

I am in Morgan County about an hour and a half west of Gatlinburg. Depending on what you are looking for. Explore the eastern section of TN. Gatlinburg is nice to visit but a Tourist area, with all the taxation that goes with that and it growing by leaps and bounds and the TRAFFIC is horrible. Also suggest picking up a Knoxville newspaper since it is the largest in the area. If you want to homestead get away from Knoxville. The Cumberland Plateau is just west and north of Knoxville and is a beautiful area. It is the area everybody sees on both side of I-75 as they go north of knoxville heading into KY. Hope this helps a little. If I can be of any assistance just holler. I am unbiased about TN I think it is a great state.

Senior

6. QueenB04

Country Fried,

Thanks I appreciated that! I'll have to check out Maryville, didn't see that on the map, will have to take a look thanks!

7. QueenB04

Senior,

Thanks, I have heard good things about the Cumberland plateau area. And yes we're very much looking to homestead. Feel free to PM me, I'll be on looking around that area online now, thanks.

8. tim1253

tim1253 Well-Known Member

We live in Knoxville, TN and have a small farm here. I'll be glad to help in any way I can. If I were looking at East TN I would look just outside of Rogersville, TN (one of the prettiest towns in the country in my opinion) which is along the beautiful Clinch Mtn. chain. If you're interested in that area you can Google search for Nelson Givens Realty.

Tim
    Knoxville, TN

9. QueenB04

Thanks Tim,
    I really appreciate all the replies! And thanks for suggesting diff. areas. Like I said we didn't really get to go outside Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg and Sevierville, very touristy but enjoyable for a visit. Really hope I can see all these areas you all are recomending. Look forward to talking with you some more, feel free to PM.

10. Jim East Tn

Jim East Tn Well-Known Member

I live in Seymour, on US 441 between Knoxville and Sevierville. Go northeast of Knoxville for best land values.
    I love what the tourists do for my taxes, but bemoan the "busy-ness" they bring to the mountains.
    Good Luck in your search.

11. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

Hey all,

What is the general attitude in TN of people that move there from the North? I remember a thread or two on KY and how it was difficult for Northerners to be accepted there. Kinda like VT I guess, if you werent born here you are a "flatlander" forever, even if you moved here at one day old. :(

How are the schools in TN? And are the summers unbearable?

I hope I havent offended anyone with my question.

12. QueenB04

Shygal,

I don't know about TN but I know us Virginia's aren't too fond of it anymore. Northern VA is full of northerners moving down, and growing like a weed I used to live up that way until we moved to rural Buckingham. Alot more people from up North that have alot more money then the local down here are buying up all the big spreads and consiquently the locals who want to buy are paying gouged prices, and/or small lot's too keep up with the times. We're friendly folks, but we don't like having to pay so much to live here at the costs of others.

13. marvella

the schools are horrid. they are 49th in the country. if it weren't for alabama, they'd be dead last. the state of tn finds it is more important to build more and more new roads than it is to educate the children.

qb- i live south of g'burg. i agree with some of the others- up toward grainger county there are still some good deals to be had on large pieces of land. problem there is same as here- no jobs. sevier county has jobs, if you want to work in a restaurant or something that caters to tourist, but there isn't much else.

14. MsPacMan

MsPacMan Well-Known Member

Sales taxes are extraordinarily high in Tennessee - 9.75% in most counties, and they do not give you any kind of tax break for groceries or pharmaceuticals.

On top of that, the state is getting big into usage taxes on things purchased through the internet or bought in other states by residents of Tennessee. They are getting access to data bases that help them identify big purchases, like computers or tractors, and as much as a year or two after the purchase, they will come after you for the unpaid taxes.

I understand they are looking into going after smaller purchases by credit cards, etc. in the future. They want their sales tax money, one way or another.

15. rkintn

rkintn mean people suck

I guess I am the odd one out here. I live in NWTN, not quite as scenic as eastern TN, but just as nice:) The school system sucks--I homeschool my oldest and I have a 13yr in public school (her dad's idea not mine). Land/homes are not too expensive here but it is tough finding a good paying job. I live close enough to KY that it is worth my while to go there and buy my groceries and high ticket items. KY has no sales tax on food and their sales tax is at 6%. As for attitudes towards northerners...can't say I have noticed one..I know several folks from further north they are as accepted as anyone else.

16. Rita

Rita Well-Known Member Supporter

We live on the Cumberland Plateau between Cookeville and Crossville, both really nice cities. Not too big not too small. Two of my grandchildren have attended the local schools and did very well. I think it is up to the children to get the best out of the schools. My son and his family will be moving to the area as they love it so much. We like the summers as almost every evening cools off nicely and the humidity is not as bad as other areas because of the elevation. Only 4 inches of snow so far this year. We have been here 5 years and love it. As far as the natives they have been friendly but you never will fit in unless your children marry into the local families. The sales tax is high but the real estate taxes low and no income tax. Rita

17. marvella

ms pacman- i dont think its exactly like that. what they want to do is, for internet sales especially, for the sales tax to go back to the county the person lives, and orders, from. i haven't read anything about getting into databases or tracking people down for unpaid taxes. the taxes were paid, just not in TN. and frankly, the high tax rate here is one of the reason i do shop sometimes online, especially for larger things with a big tax. many times it is cheaper to shop out of state, just because of the tax. the purpose of the (possible) new law is two fold. 1- to get people to shop close to home, and 2- for TN to get the tax revenue from it's citizens who are shopping out of state. i agree 100% with number 1, my jury is still out on 2. it affects each county differently. where i live, it will benefit us greatly because we are poor, so the added tax money coming back would be a big help. now in sevier county it's going to be a killer, bcause their economy is entirely based on tourism, which means that almost all the money spent there is from people outside the county. they stand to lose at least 3 million a year.

hope this clears it up a bit. this new law is not slated, at this time, to take effect until 2009, to give counties ways to figure out how to make it work, or find loopholes, as the case may be. other states already do this. it is just an attempt to keep tax dollars in the state.

18. backwoods

backwoods Well-Known Member

Middle TN, Where the Hilltops Kiss the Sky
    I sent you a pm.

Backwoods

19. backwoods

backwoods Well-Known Member

Middle TN, Where the Hilltops Kiss the Sky
    Hi Rita,
    We too live between Cookville and Crossville.Been here 10 years.Greetings.

Backwoods

20. marvella

i love to talk about tn, even if what i say is mostly warning. i've lived here a long time. another thing to consider when you are moving to a new place is that it sure helps if you like the locals. it is possible to be accepted. think about this tho- your children are going to make friends, mate and marry with the locals. are you ok with that? if some tragedy strikes, like your house burning down, these are the people you are going to have to turn to for help at first. can you get along with them, or do you secretly make fun of them? i had children with two different local boys, which makes me pretty much related to half the county. :haha: my children were born here, but it really does limit them in some ways. even if/when they go off to college, there is nothing to bring them back here except minimum wage jobs with no bennies. it's someting to consider, i think, about anywhere you choose to move.