Anyone here ever raise sugar cain?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by r.h. in okla., Dec 18, 2005.

1. A lady at church this evening gave me a sugar cain about 3 feet long. She said she once knew someone nearby here in Oklahoma who use to raise sugar cains. I didn't know it would grow here! Anyway it has a joint about every 4 inches or so. Can I get a start from it by cutting it into peices and soaking each joint in water and hope it takes root?

2. Paranoid

Paranoid Homebrewed Happiness

Yes, sugar cane is the easiest thing to grow, she is right, every section is a plant in itself!

For your first plant tho, to ensure you dont cut it wrong or spoil it somehow, i'd say cut it in 2-4 pieces depending on the length, and stick it in the ground, water it regularly and you'll have 4 plants guarenteed. next season you can try to get 1 plant per section, for this one just get it going for your restocking needs.

3. sweetbabyjane

sweetbabyjane Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi r.h.
    You don't have to soak sugar cane in water to grow it. Just dig a shallow trench and lay the stalk down in it. It should be horizontal, not vertical. Cover the cane with 2-3 inches of soil. Each joint should sprout a new plant.

It's not hard to grow, at least around here (S. Ga)

Good luck!
    SBJ