Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had to reduce the numbers of these rodents. Does anyone know how many live in a den and does anyone have problems with them>

·
Registered
622 Posts
you should not kill a porcupine unless you are in a survival situation , as they are the only animal you can catch and kill with bare hands.

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts
They only eat certain types of plants. They're quite tasty too. Their quills are used in Native American cultures even today. I don't see the problem with them and just how many of them do you see on a daily basis?

Reactions: Coco

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have taken 5 from one den so far. It isn't like I see them often since they are most active at night. I'm not sure how many I have but in 3 days 5 porky.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I don't quit get your den thing, they are a slow animal, I don't think they are equipped to attack anything but DOGS that are trying to eat them. And I will tell ya ,if you have a dog that had messed with a pork it will do it again and over and over. Get yourself some pruners and some hemostats and pull them yourself as I have never heard of porcupines being a household problem. unless the dogs can't control themselves around them . Man up or take them to the vet, when they get in trouble, around here if a dog is running anything they will be shot and given a shallow grave, so keep that in mind also.

·
Registered
9,852 Posts
you should not kill a porcupine unless you are in a survival situation , as they are the only animal you can catch and kill with bare hands.
Are you being sarcastic? I can't tell. I can catch and kill almost any animal with bare hands. Simply run them to the ground. That was what our species developed as one of its special techniques. More importantly, we developed hands that can throw rocks, sticks, stab, craft weapons, etc.

Besides, porcupines are a nuisance animal and should be exterminated. Kill every one you can.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes they will eat up plywood before anything else. They crave salt and do anything to get it. A lot of blame goes to beaver and squirrels but actually most times it is a porcupine that kills trees and fruit trees etc.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Adopt and keep around the house for the sheer entertainment value---better than cable---and cheaper.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5I5H7EeC8k"]If you just hang on until the middle of the video, you'll get to see the porcupine dance![/ame]

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice I like that a lot. Porcupine are very shy and seem to be very gentle and laid back rodent. I was told if you start seeing them around often that there is way to many in the area. I do believe this to be true after I started to remove some. Too many of any good thing is a bad thing if you are noticing damage. There has to be a balance in conservation.

·
Premium Member
1,475 Posts
Well, if you have too many or have to remove them to protect your dogs (and kids), use the meat. It's really excellent. Kind of challenging to skin them, but with a couple of pairs of pliers it can be done. Comes out like the best-ever beef stew.
Kit

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not so excited about eating them but I do take other things that they offer when you harvest one. Here is the guard hair off of one. It is very nice hair and valued by Native Americans. This guard hair will go to good use.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts