Anyone have one of these?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by tailwagging, Nov 15, 2012.

1. tailwagging

tailwagging Well-Known Member

2. blooba

blooba Well-Known Member

I would probably save up a bit more money and buy a real hand pump. I've had real hand pumps and they are super reliable and durable (except the leathers).

I would worry about the longevity of this kinds of unit.

3. tailwagging

I feel the same way but hubby seems to like it and wants to try it.
    sigh... what can I do?
    I don't know a whole lot about this kinda stuff so I thought I would ask. hoping I was wrong and that it is fantastic.
    His heart is in the right place sooo .....we may end up giving it a try. who knows he may get one for Christmas.
    thank you for your input

4. dlmcafee

dlmcafee Guest

"Real" deep water hand pumps like the 2 most popular (Simple and Bison) run near $2000.00 when complete and are well worth it if you have that to spend. The cheaper alternatives like you show can be a viable alternative.

5. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

6. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

If you watch their video, youtube will display close matches at the end, several of _those_ videos show how to make your own valve (couple marbles and couple fittings, couple stainless screws and washers) , wouldn't have to spend the $180 for their valve.

Depends on the quality & long term use and rebuildabliity you have in mind.

I see several home made designs use electrical conduit and so forth, person might want to consider their own personal values and consider the lead content, or plastic type, of some of these everyday solutions. These days, most garden hose isn't rated for drinking water - if you are organic or concerned about pesticides/fertilizers need to consider what comes in contact with your water as well.

--->Paul

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  7. tailwagging

8. KMA1

KMA1 Well-Known Member

There is no comparison to the quality of the the bison pump or simple pump. I have the bison deep well pump. The do it yourself pumps will work and are cheaper if you have no choice, but require a lot more maintenance and rebuilds in general. For me, I wanted the security that if my pump was in the well, 5 or 10 years down the road, I can count on using it without having to put it in, or pull it and rebuild the cylinder(which means replace the leathers or rubbers) at any time in a moments notice.

Also, you can just buy the cylinders, which does the actual pumping seperately I am pretty sure at both the above manufacturers, or the old brass version as well at Baker, I believe for not a lot more than you are talking about spending. If I was just going to rig something myself, I would start with a known and trusted pump cylinder that is in thousands or 10s of thousands of wells, and not something someone brags about selling a couple hunderd of. But that is just my thoughts.

9. tailwagging

Thank you for your thoughts! that is what I asked for when posting =)
    please do tell me more! I really have nooo idea about this kinda stuff.

10. Yvonne's hubby

Yvonne's hubby Murphy was an optimist ;) Staff Member

The problem I see with this system is that water gets heavy... really fast! In a well thats a couple hundred feet down to the water you are lifting the entire column of water with each stroke. lets say you have only one square inch in your pipe...Pretty unlikely but possible... you will be lifting over a half pound per foot of depth... well over a hundred pounds to be lifted with each stroke if your well is a couple hundred feet deep. The old timey hand pumps give you a whole lot better leverage.... and its always easier to "lift down" on a pump handle than it is to lift straight up. Will these type pumps work? yep... would I want to use one... even on a shallow well of 20 feet or so? nope!

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  11. tailwagging

So if you couldn't afford 1000.00 right off for a "kit" how would you go about buying the things you need by parts?

12. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Menards, Fleet and Farm, etc.

It's all common home plumbing stuff.

Long pipe, bit of a handle and spigot on one end, needs some access holes, and 2 flapper or ball valves on the other end. All fairly simpel, basic stuff, just need the know-how. Every time you lift the middle pipe, you lift a column of water that high as long as the valve seals. Repreat often enough, and you get water out the top.

Depends how well it works on how accurate your 'slight modifications' are to keep the seals and balls tight. and how deep your water is. Gets to be a lot of work over 35-50 feet. Now, your well might be deeper, much deeper, but the water often comes up pretty high in a well, you want to know how deep to the water inside the well.

--->Paul

13. tailwagging

I guess the first would be to see where my static water is.
    looooong rope and a wooden weight.

does you middle pipe need to be as long as deep as the static water level is?