Anyone have natual recipes for tanning?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Emily Anne, Dec 18, 2004.

1. Emily Anne

Emily Anne Active Member

I have tanned useing a tanning kit and the hide cured well...it just smelled terrible.
    But since then I have tried brain tanning and just playin' around but without success. I was wondering if anyone has any natural recipes for tanning. I did here of someone tanning with just oils.

2. Ken in Minn

Ken in Minn Well-Known Member

3. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

Yes, rub on cocoa butter and lay in the sun :haha: I couldn't resist. It's late. I need to go to bed.

4. jejabean

jejabean Well-Known Member

I have the best one...be born African American!! It pays to really read what the post is about :) LOL! I thought you wanted to know how to tan without burning....lol!

5. Jasen

Jasen Member

I actually got my tanning method from an old countryside magazine:

Take skin and dont worry about the slow hard work of cleaning all the fat and tissue off the hide. Just try not to cut through while skinning and get the big easy hunks off. Practice makes easier!

So you can wash hide in shampoo now or just fill a five gallon bucket halfway full of water and about 1lb of salt.

Take 3-5 ounces of battery acid, sulfuric acid I think, and add acid to water.

mix with a stick NOT YOUR HAND.

Add one deer skin or several smaller skins and push around and stir with stick.

stir every few days and make sure to keep the skins under the water with a stone or piece of wood so it tans.

Whenever you have time, pull the hides out ( wait a month at least ) and rinse with the hose and clean off exta tissue...it comes off SO easy compared to fresh skin. scrap whatever you have time for and if you dont finish throw back in the bucket for monthes...I have waited 6 monthes and forgot about a goat hide and it came out beautiful after I stretched it and scraped it.

Autozone has the battery acid for sale for a few dollars and you dont need much...I have been using the same bottle for 3 years!

Good luck!

PS the brain tanning method is pretty nasty compared to this and more labor intensive.

6. Braintain does have a great formula that I have used with success. After you have dehaired or pickled the hide use a ratio of 1/2 cup neets foot oil to 1/2 grated bar of soap to 1/2 gallon warm water.

7. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

8. Emily Anne

Emily Anne Active Member

Thank y'all for all the information-Emily Anne