Anyone have miniature horses?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by AndreaNZ, Nov 30, 2004.

1. AndreaNZ

AndreaNZ Well-Known Member

Hi, all -- having just acquired our first mini horse, we'd like to know if anyone up there uses them for actual working horses. We plan to train him to harness as soon as he's old enough (he's just 14 months old), and then I will use him for pleasure driving, but then I also thought it'd be good to utilise his future carting ability to have him plow up the vege patch in spring and autumn, so we don't have to hire a rotary hoe again....

Any suggestions on places to look that sell such gear, or people who've made mini horse sized equipment? I know Hoeggers makes carts, wagons and a cultivator meant to be used by goats, and I'm wondering if the scale would be right for a mini horse (who will be about 36" at the withers when he's full grown).

Cheers
    Andrea
    NZ

2. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

You might try posting this on the Equine forum.

3. Al. Countryboy

Al. Countryboy Well-Known Member

Hi Andrea, My sister has seven or eight mini horses. They have carts, a wagon and a stagecoach. They do some showing and take them to birthday parties and other events. They have all the hook up that is used on big horses. They get a mini horse magazine that has alot of equipment for sale in it.
    Don't know much about minies. I know there are different classes depending on their hight. They seem to be very smart and gentle and easy to train. I will talk with my sister and see if I can find any info. that might help you out.
    My parents have a mini mule. He is probably over six months old now and is a real cute. He was a gift from my sister. She bought a spotted mother and daughter that were bred and assured that they would have spotted colts. :) So far we have one cute mini mule with stocking feet :no: :no: and are waiting to see what the other little mare is going to have. My parents love this little mule and have been training him. My sister told me last week that if she had known how much mini mules sold for that she might have kept him. :(
    If I find any info. I will get back. Good luck.

4. AndreaNZ

AndreaNZ Well-Known Member

Thanks, Al... I meant to post this in the Equine forum, but forgot I was still in the goats forum! :eek:

Would love any info you care to share from your sister.

Cheers
    Andrea
    NZ