Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the price of wood stain at local stores being very pricey, I'm looking for a homemade type stain that would look good and also help preserve yellow pine.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Never heard of homemade woodstain, you could mix a commercial grade with linseed oil to stretch it....Burnt motor oil would be illegal and flammable..

·
Registered
7,153 Posts
I discovered a homemade wood stain last week when needing to do a small project. Don't know how it would work on a larger one. Just take a fine grade steel wool pad, put it in 1-1/2 cups vinegar in a covered jar. Let set until the wool pad is dissolved (mine didn't completely). You can change the depth of the stain by diluting with water. Undiluted it looks like a deep walnut stain. You can also add regular food colouring to change the tone. I was extremely impressed with it. Of course, it needs a top coat of varnish to make it weatherproof.

·
Premium Member
15,980 Posts
Trappers have dyed traps for generations using walnut hulls. I would think that if you could get them you could boil up some walnut stain that would work for what you want. Other nut hulls may work too.

·
Still an :censored:
15,870 Posts
A local sawyer painted his buildings with a mixture of kerosene and something else. I couldn't smell any odor.

·
Still an :censored:
15,870 Posts
Creosote is still used for railroad ties. There's a tie treatment plant about an hour from here. You can smell the fresh creosote on the trailer loads of ties at the local truck stops.

EPA still approves creosote for industrial use. Same for CCA.

http://www.rta.org/faqs-main

1 - 9 of 9 Posts