Anyone have Australian Shephards?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by blhmabbott, Nov 1, 2004.

1. blhmabbott

blhmabbott We're gettin' there!

My daughter just got a puppy that is half Australian Shephard and half German Shephard. If any of you have an Australian, could you please share your comments on their temperments, qualities, and size? Any negative things I should know? I don't think it's going to be a very large dog, because at 6 weeks this puppy is tiny! But then again, my dog is half St. Bernard and half Newfoundland, so most things are small next to it lol. Thanks for any info you can give!
    Heather

2. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

We have a full blood Aussie and I can say she is a wonderful dog. We got her at the shelter.
    She is a friend for our Great Pyr dog that we have for guard duty. Both dogs sleep in the barn with the sheep and goats and hang outside with them during the day. They have become bossom buddies. Lil bit is not quite a year and the great pyr is 2 yrs.

Lil Bit is an escape artist but doesn't go anywhere except up to see my wife if she is outside. The dog minds very well and is very friendly to me and my wife.

Lil bit will round up the animals at the end of the day and directs them into the barn. Neat to watch her work.

Most Aussies need a job to do to keep them sharp and occupied.

We are extremely happy with her

3. painterswife

painterswife Sock puppet reinstated Supporter

Two Aussies here!

Best dogs I ever had. Loving, smart and loyal. Very active, need lots of exercise. I have horses, poutlry and ducks. They won't hurt them but like to herd them.

They get bored easily inside if alone. Chewing can be a problem between 5 and 11 months. Easily trainable.

4. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

I have an aussie/husky mix whose parents were oversized. He is BIG, about 120 pounds. Would be a lap dog if I could take it!

He herds deer away from our property, will kill rabbits and coons, and squirrels if he can catch them- all with our blessing. He works hard and loves to please us and be with us. He gets scared when the guns start in hunting season and hangs in his box or inside/on the porch. Friendly with children who hang on him and a mediator between other dogs. He's well-behaved enough to sleep inside when he wants to but with all that fur, he likes the coolness of outside. Once a little Jack Russell got out of line with a visiting toy poodle and he simply picked the Jack Russel up by the scruf and set him aside. I love our little peacemaker.

You will love him as long as you give him a job to do and train him to the basic commands. Expose him as often as possible to the people and animals he will interact with. Get a good book like the ones by the Monks of New Skete. "The Art of Raising A Puppy" can help you now.

Have fun.

5. Susan Mary

Susan Mary Well-Known Member

We have two aussies. Black tri and red tri. Both females from same liter but just like day and night. They are both wonderful but in completely different ways. The black tri would make a great farm dog wonder herding instincts but has real issues with fast moving people. We have to closely watch her when kids are in and out. The boys all know her and very sternly tell her "no" when she thinks they are not moving in the direction which she wants. Now the red tri she is the princess. She just likes to lounge around and look pretty.

To sum it up they are great dogs but you have to be dog savvy or they will rule the house.

Good luck! Susan

6. januaries

januaries Well-Known Member

If you're in need of any basic puppy instruction, I second the recommendation for "The Art of Raising a Puppy" by the Monks of New Skete. Excellent book. Practical, interesting, thorough, easy to understand but not patronizing. Good illustrations. Gives you all you need to know to bring up a smart, well-behaved puppy.

7. kabri

kabri Almst livin the good life

Raised, trained, bred, competed with and owned by 5 aussies over the years. I second what others have said... aussies need training and a job. If you don't they will invent their own jobs, whether that is chewing, digging, roaming, barking, herding other people's livestock, etc.

With that breed combo, you are probably going to be dealing with LOTS of grooming. Aussie's shed twice a year, but GS shed all the time. At least once a week thorough brushing is mandatory or they could mat. An undercoat rake should be very helpful too. Most of my aussies have been gun-shy as well.

Excercise!!! also very important!

Socializing with as many people and friendly dogs as possible. Both breeds are naturally protective. Socializing will not prevent the dog from protecting your house, but it will go a huge way to preventing inappropriate agression.

Enjoy your new dog!

8. Ozarkquilter46

Ozarkquilter46 Well-Known Member

I have a full blooded red merl Aussie. He is the light of my life. They are very smart and if raised around kids they will be there greatest protectors!! I use to babysit my girlfriends little boy. When he was two he came over with a cough and high fever. Well my aussie never never gets on the sofa. Even if you ask him to come up there he will stay for just a min then jump down and lay by your feet. Well I let Levi lay down on the sofa while I did my dishes and when I came back in Speck was on the sofa and Levi was on top of Speck sleeping. That dog didn't move a mussle except to raise his head every so offen to lightly lick his forhead. I am not sure but I think he was checking his temp LOL.They layed like that for hours. They are a very loving family dog. When someone they don't know shows agression toward one of the family watch out they can be very protective!! Mine is only that way with adults tho.

9. Ragamuffin2004

Ragamuffin2004 Well-Known Member

I adopted an aussie/collie mix earlier this year. He's a beautiful boy with half a tail. He's approximately 2-3 years old and weighs around 55-60 lbs. He's tall and lean. Very active and needs lots of roam to run - his favorite game is to have the other dogs chase him. He gets along very well with our other 4 dogs, although we have the occasional tussle. (Keep in mind that they are all inside dogs and stay in the house when we are not home - aussie/collie, border and sheltie have main rooms of house and little dogs (Lhasa and shih tzu mix) have the master bedroom). He also gets along really well with our cat and kitten. Doesn't show much interest in the bunnies or poultry, which was rather surprising. His herding insticts do not seem to be as strong as those of our border collie or our sheltie (who is from show dog lines rather than working). He's very bright, but a bit of an imp. Likes to counter surf, especially if fresh bread is left out to cool.

He might possibly have ESP. When I'm out in the dog yard and want to pick up a toy or ball or something, he always seems to know what I'm after before I even start towards it and he will then run over and grap it before I can get it. I've even tried not looking at a toy directly, just out of corner of my eye, and not walking directly towards it, but it doesn't fool him.

10. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

We just got 3 within the last 2 months. My pup herds the goats already. They are truly velcro dogs. The others are right: just give the pup plenty to do and you will be happy as well.

11. blhmabbott

blhmabbott We're gettin' there!

I tried to responding earlier to thank all of you for the info you've shared, but it didn't get posted for some reason...technical difficulties?? Anyway, thanks so much for all the info...I'm sure he's going to be a great dog and is well on the way to being spoiled rotten! Doing very well with house training and has only had two accidents in 4 days. He LOVES to play, but Bernie (my St. Bernard/Newfoundland mix) doesn't seem to interested in him yet. At least he's wagging his tail now when Harley comes up and wants to play. Bernie looks disgusted and bothered like "You're no more than a snack." But he hasn't tried to eat him yet, so that's a good thing! :haha:
    Heather

12. joan from zone six

joan from zone six Well-Known Member

most folks are very happy with aussie mixes - my mom's got an aussie/lab 50/50 and it is a great do - but will not do well if ignored - keep us posted on how your aussie/g.s. turns out -

13. whiterock

whiterock Well-Known Member Supporter

Best dog I've ever had. Protective, loyal, gentle around family and one chicken killing rascal.

14. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

ive owned 2 different aussie crosses, awesome faithfull happy dogs, our currentis Coal , hes half black lab half aussie, solid black with the aussie look to him,just not quite the puffball some aussies get,
    he was supposed to be a LGD but at 6 months old he got cornered in the barn and the snot beat out of him by one of our does, he still herded, but too timid to stay in the barn , he tracks deer and rabbits when we walk in the woods, he barks about once a month ,faithfull to the end, great family dog, will fetch ball/football/frisbee till he cant walk anymore! tolerant of the family cats, but chases off any outside cats
    i couldnt reccomend a better family dog!
    my other was a rescue, i found her tied behind a run down house in theinner city, middle of summer she had no water, was so dehydrated the skin of her paws was cracking and falling off, the first week i had her i had to carry her out to pee.
    she was a GREAT dog though !she lived with us till she met the wrong end of the mama cow who was protecting her calf

one interesting thing i have noticed is they tend to "smile" or grimace when excited,
    Sweetheart used to smile and sneeze on command!

15. j.r. guerra in s. tx.

j.r. guerra in s. tx. Well-Known Member

Our watch dog is half Aussie, half Chow. Awesome watchdog - does not miss a thing which stops in front of our house. A high energy dog - be prepared for long walks - they do not fatigue easily.

I have a six year old autistic boy and a normal two year old girl, and Ringo (the dog) is extremely gentle with them. Kids can get pretty rough (poking eyes) but the dog ignores as much as possible. When the kids take a sudden fright from him, he walks away slowly - I truly think the dog watches over them.

I don't believe in cloning of any kind, but our dog is the one animal I can think of which might make me reconsider my position.

Good dog.