Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Living the dream.
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got 1.5 acres of white pines someone planted presumably for Chistmas trees on 7 ft centers, but never harvested. They are now nearly 90 ft tall. The outside ones are 16-18" at breast height. They self thinning like crazy due to being too close together. We burn what we can for fuel, but the rest is quickly becoming "rabbitat". I'd like to thin them a bit and sell a couple small loads if possible. Maybe what would fit on a single axle log truck like the arborists use. I don't want equipment in the area, so I'd have to cut them down, to length, then use a log arch to get them to the road and keep them clean. They would need to be picked up. There is a small sawmill around 5 miles away. I haven't called them yet, but thought I would check here beforehand.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
1.5 acres isnt a big plot for logging. You can see if the mill will take your logs, but you would probably have to harvest and haul them in yourself if you dont want equipment on your property. Unfortunately, you can't have it both ways....
At any rate, I don't think you would have any takers on such a small total number of boardfeet. Can you get someone with a portable mill to come to you? That would really make the most sense in this situation.

·
Registered
10,204 Posts
Around us, the local FB page has a post about every week from someone advertising free firewood or logs if they come pick them up. Regardless of what lumber at the local Home Depot is selling for, the mills aren't paying that and ours are covered up in wood to be processed.
You might split and stack some firewood out by the road with a sign, and stack some of the logs with a sign and not think about it until someone pulls into the driveway.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
I've got 1.5 acres of white pines someone planted presumably for Chistmas trees on 7 ft centers, but never harvested. They are now nearly 90 ft tall. The outside ones are 16-18" at breast height. They self thinning like crazy due to being too close together. We burn what we can for fuel, but the rest is quickly becoming "rabbitat". I'd like to thin them a bit and sell a couple small loads if possible. Maybe what would fit on a single axle log truck like the arborists use. I don't want equipment in the area, so I'd have to cut them down, to length, then use a log arch to get them to the road and keep them clean. They would need to be picked up. There is a small sawmill around 5 miles away. I haven't called them yet, but thought I would check here beforehand.
If you don't want equipment on your property, and you want the logs hauled off, you should ask the sawmill owner if there is a horse logger in your area. I wish I were close by, I would like to do one more log job before I am too old and feeble.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts