Anyone have an Akita?

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by JennNY, Jan 11, 2007.

1. JennNY

JennNY Mom to 6 great kids!

Just wanted to know if anyone has an Akita. We have a female and are looking to breed her w/a stud, or get a male. Anyone have experience breeding this breed?

Thanks,
    Jenn

2. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

Go to akc.com Click on Akita, and it will take you to the Akita home page. From there you should be able to find a breeder.

3. Beaners

Beaners Incubator Addict

First and foremost...the sticky at the top of this page has a lot of information anyone should read before breeding!

Kayleigh

4. Cashs Cowgirl

Cashs Cowgirl Well-Known Member Supporter

Ditto what Beaners said!

5. Jersey Milker

Jersey Milker Member

I have a friend that raises them, she has a female that took best opposite sex last year at the West Minster dog show and her dog is one of the top ten dogs in the akita breed in the USA. Take the others advice and do your homework, they are a hard breed of dog to get bred, it took my friend about 2 years to get her top female bred. They require alot of patience and luck. If you need help I can see if she could help you out. Let me know.

6. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

Curious. Why do Akitas have trouble with breeding?

7. Corgitails

Corgitails Well-Known Member

I imagine some of that is probably related to bloodlines. I *do* think they are a hard dog to place responsibly- they're such darling, darling puppies, and beautiful adults, but can be such a handful. We see a LOT of them in the shelter here who have been surrendered once they matured because they are dog aggressive. They need a pretty specific type of owner, and making sure you find that owner and that they stay in that home for life is tough.

8. Ninn

Ninn Custom Crochet Queen

I have a female long haired akita. Long hair is considered a "fault" by breeders, so she was gifted to my son last year. (nice gift, huh?) I want a whole houseful of them now! She is so smart, friendly and loving. She is same sex dog aggressive with smaller dogs and food aggressive to the cats but not to people. I have been known to reach right into her mouth to take something from her that she shouldn't have. (people insist on giving her table food!) I would never breed her with any Akitas from this area though. They are all pretty much related. She is scheduled to be spayed in April, after her hot spot from winter air clears up. (she gets crabby when she is itchy-no need to make it worse by being house bound, right?)

One thing I have noticed is that people teach her in one visit how to treat them. If you back down my steps when she sees you, she knows you don't belong there. Good luck ever getting up them again! She is so smart! After obedience training is completed, it's on to flyball!!!

We are considering getting a second dog, and so are enrolling Panda in an obedience training class that is geared toward service dogs. We want her to be happy and comfortable around other people and other dogs-this trainer has the only dogs in our area that are allowed inside grocery stores, etc. It's expensive for our area-35 dollars per class. Well worth it for a happy dog that gets along well with others. Since she has a need to mother every little critter that crosses her path, we are considering a deaf collie. He needs love and care and she needs to mother something that she can't run over just because of her size. Any thoughts?