Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know many of you have been getting a lot of snow, so have we, and I thought I would post a few pics. Snow and high winds several days in a row.

First is lane to our house. Drifts 6' to 7' high. If you look at the vehicle not in front of garage, it is a ford expedition, tall big vehicle, and the drifts through our lane were higher than the roof.

This photo is lane to the barns. The ditches were full on both sides already, so we had anywhere from 3' to 5' drifts the whole length of the lane. I got a single lane through so far, will have to widen it tomorrow.

·
Failure is not an option.
2,623 Posts
Hey.

I guess that's one way of making it harder for preditors to get to the henhouse...they have to come down the lane and you pick them off one at a time;-)

RF

·
Katie
19,970 Posts
I think we had snow piled high like that too so I feel for you. This has already been a long winter in my opinion. Thank goodness we got 2 different warmer days with lots of rain in December & it melted a ton of snow, we were then having flooding issues here. I think I'd rather have the snow for now.
Nice pictures though and a nice looking farm too.

·
Registered
7,883 Posts
Nice pixs........
wish I had a camera so I could post some pixs of my "piles"
Local county *newspaper* runs a contest each winter "guess the snow fall".
This weeks paper shows 126.5 inches thus far.
Thats 10 and a half feet . . . .and its only the mid of Jan.....
Nearby 'village' has a season record of 22+ feet.
Gonna set a new record . .???

As a mater of fact I do have a snow shovel
You are welcome to take your choice from the four of them.
Or the plow . . .or the two walk behind throwers.........
I'd appreciate if you would clean up from the house to the barn ......... ........ ....all this typing has made me tired . .
I'll take a nap while you move some snow...........

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The worst part is I have to push all this snow after I push everyone else's. My Lawn & Landscape business really expanded snow removal this year, so the last 72 hours has been crazy. Two trucks with plows, skid loader, and a five man shovel/snow blower crew and we can barely keep up. I went 26 straight hours in one truck!! I have slept less than 8 hours in past three nights. I hate snow

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
I hate snow, ice, blowing snow, cold. Why the heck do I live in Iowa????????? Oh, I remember now, June and September.

·
Premium Member
12,677 Posts
I'd much rather look at other people's snow than my own. So far, I don't have any snow and that's okey dokey with me. But your snow is really pretty.

·
Accidental Farmer
14,837 Posts
Hey, thats what it looks like here!!! My road hasn't even been plowed...good thing it's powder or I'd be stuck. We have 4-5 foot drifts up against the house.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
For those that don't get snow it always looks pretty, but not to those of us that have to deal with it almost daily. I have to admit it is pretty when you look out the window right after it snows, when it is untouched. But then you go out in it and realize you can not get out of your lane, so you plow it, then you realize you can not get down your road, so you plow it, then the highway is half blocked, so you plow it!!!! All this just to get into town to plow snow. I am starting to understand why people go south for the winter now. My kids love it and want to go snowboarding, and I look at them like Jack Nicholson in the movie the Shining when he was carrying the ax around.

·
Premium Member
27,867 Posts
Our road got plowed TWICE since the storm hit, once yesterday and once today. The township never plows our road. They did a piddle poor job though, like usual, plw blade an inch off the road so we end up with a sheet of ice in a couple days. They do scrape the other roads in the area so it's not like it's township policy to leave an inch on the road.

Other than sweeping the walk I'm not even going to bother shoveling, it'll be gone this weekend.

BTW, excellent find on the roadside today, a heavy duty aluminum snow shovel! Sure the blade was chipped and dented but it works for light scraping and driveway shoveling. Those chips will help break up the ice pack that will be on the road in a couple days. :D

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
make note to self ......."Steph, do not complain about the 2 degree cold and the -15 wind chill anymore"

PS....I HATE cold weather!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts