Anyone have a propane generator?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by moonwolf, Aug 12, 2005.

1. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Someone might have asked before and I'll check the archives, but does anyone have a propane backup generator? Is it more fuel efficient than a gasoline generator? 6500 watt this one is, for comparison purposes.

2. jodamax

jodamax Member

i have a propane generator with remote start and stop switch,can't tell you if its more efficent but its way more convient then filling with gas. if i had to buy another i would get a water cooled diesel gen. with 1800 rpm speed which is way more efficent

3. farminghandyman

farminghandyman Well-Known Member Supporter

Propane is usually a little less efficient, In that it has less BTU's per gallon of fuel,

remember you don't pay road tax on propane,
    propane will keep until the tank gives up the ghost, (nearly for ever,
    it will start easily in cold weather, as the propane vaporises down to -40,

try starting that diesel on a -40 day with out the electric block heater,

I converted my 30kw generator from gasoline to propane, (actual it is duel fuel in that it can still use gasoline) yes the most efficient is diesel but when you have a commercial gas unit to convert it to LP seemed to make sense to me. as getting a diesel engine was not in the picture, and besides that gives me a back up on the heating as well, I was able to get a 1000 gallon tank for 100, and valves for 150 so a total of $250 for the tank, and it is now filled or nearly, may need another 50 to 100 gallon in it, don't remember, right now,

if it a back up generator, and depending on how you plan on using it, and the projected need, propane may be the best bet,

4. BackwoodsIdaho

BackwoodsIdaho Well-Known Member

wow, where did you get propane at $1.15 a gallon?