Anyone have a picture of a chamoisee Alpine?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Xandras_Zoo, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

Uh... yes, I'm wondering how they look compared to an Oberhasli.

2. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

sorry i dont have a true chamoise yet, but i have seen them , and other than the size thing , virtually identical , if you get a dark chamoise , pretty , thats for sure

3. nappy

nappy Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi XZ,
    Just a brief explanation of a chamoisee Alpine. At this time we have 6 chamoisee Alpine kids, and each are differently marked and many shades of brown. The term "chamoisee" actually means brown. The chamoisee with black trim is the one that closely resembles the Oberhasli having the same black markings. I believe that the brown coloring of the Oberhasli is a redder shade. Very striking if you have ever seen them. I have one chamoise Alpine doe with black trim. Bucks that are brown are "chamoise" (only one "e").

Nappy

4. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

We have Alpines too and they do come in all colors. They are my favorites. We have a new digital camera so will try to include pics if we figure out how.

5. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

We raise Oberhasli. The shades are more red than brown and black markings are very distinctive. Without the correct black markings, an oberhasli must be registered as an experimental (in ADGA). They MUST be chamoisee with correct black markings, which include a black dorsal stripe, black belly, black from the knees down, and black among other body certain locations. Or does may be totally black.

I've found that irregardless of color, the body of alpines are different than oberhasli. The shape of their faces is different, including the ears. I know it's really hard to look at a goat and look past the color to see just the body. I have a friend that switched to just white Saanens because of the color issue. It forced her to look at the body of each goat and not compare color.

6. Gailann Schrader

Gailann Schrader Green Woman

Obies have shorter ears. And more "hocky" too... I have Obes, Kinders, Nubians, and BoerX. Just a few of each. Obes are smaller than Alpines too...

And redder. Not the brown/cream of the chamoisee...

7. greenacres

greenacres Well-Known Member

I had an alpine doe that was chamoisee. She was actually mistaken for an oberhasli in an AOP class. The main difference in her was her depth of barrel. She wasn't a dainty goat like the oberhasli's I have seen.