Anyone have a natural remedy for acne?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by second_noah, Dec 1, 2004.

1. second_noah

second_noah Local Yokel

I'm 26 and for the past two years have been PLAGUED by acne and zits! It's driving me nuts because I've never had it THIS bad. :(

Does anyone have a natural remedy that WORKS? haha :D I sure would like to find a way to clear this junk up. I am sick of smearing chemicals all over my face, they only make it worse.

~Christina

2. silosounds

silosounds Well-Known Member

acne can be caused by alot of things such as having an over toxic body allergic reaction to environment or diet, stress sometimes causes it.A good topical antibacterial is tea tree oil . but if it were me I would try to cleanes the interior of my body.without perscribing anything I would take licorice root tea 2 times a day for a couple weeks laying off all sugar caffien then replenish my gut with all the macrobiotics i could find like bifudos lactobaciilias found in yogarts or non dairy sources then log things that i eat to see if it accures when i eat something wrong. It might mean that youll have to cut certian foods such as chocalot ,dairy,sugar . And if its stress try some relaxation exercises or meditate in your lord or whatever works for you. Some medications may cause acne as a side effect but I dont want to say anything about meds. it not my forte'. and Im not a doctor but it may be something you can ask a doctor about.
    Check around for different types of cleanses for your blood and digestive system
    theres alot of good ones out there and being nutrition consultant can only recommend what Ive used .

3. CarlaWVgal

CarlaWVgal Well-Known Member

The thing that worked for me was to stop using EVERYTHING on my face. I do not use soap, cleansers, lotions, nothing. Just plain old water. If I use anything it will cause a breakout. The only time I break out now are when the seasons change, it seems like it takes a couple of weeks for my skin to adjust and start making the right amount of oil for the environment (humid summers, dry winters) And we thought this was something we would outgrow! lol :D

Carla

4. JerseyLightning

JerseyLightning Well-Known Member

What worked for me was apple cider vinegar. If you skin tends to be dry, you can just use it on the part affected by the acne.

Kathleen in NJ

5. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

As Silosounds wrote, try cleaning out your innards. Do a colon cleanse, then a kidney cleanse, then another kidney cleanse followed by a liver cleanse. This could take a couple of weeks or longer because you want your body to rest between cleanses.

People who use my homemade olive oil soap have found that it cures their acne, or greatly reduces it. It has helped my face also. I don't know if it is because of the wonderful ingredients in it, or the awful ingredients not in it. All commercial soaps, including those costing alotta money, use petroleum. This is not what you want on your skin. If you send me your snail mail I will send you a bar of my soap. If you like it, I will give you the recipe and you can make your own.

Please do the cleanses, and stop drinking soda pop. :cool:

6. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

Aloe vera gel on the acne and if you can get it, aloe vera juice -- an ounce ever morning.

Tracy

7. AnnaS

AnnaS Well-Known Member

I started getting zits about 4 years ago too, same age. Never had 'em as a teenager. My sister started with them the same time.
    I went through all sorts of medication and natural remedies (including pure sulfur, which did work okay) then noticed last year that there seemed to be a correlation between cheese and acne- never had a problem before- I did some experimenting and came to the conclusion that eating dairy products that probably contained BGH would cause a hard red cyst within 12 hours which would grow into a pus filled zit. Yummy.

Organic cheese, local BGH-free milk and my own goaties milk doesn't do it. I'd be totally pimple-free if I could pass up that free pizza at work on Saturdays... :rolleyes:

8. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Internal cleansing is great, but it will likely make it worse before it makes it better.

9. jerneeon

jerneeon Well-Known Member

Make a paste of nutritional yeast and water. Apply to your face and let it dry. Put a hot, damp wash cloth on your face and let it sit there for a minutes, then wipe the yeast off and rinse off your face. The B vitamins balances the PH in your skin. I've found it to be really great for acne. Put it on every day for a few days till your skin is clear, then once or twice a week thereafter.

10. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Egg yold with aspirin dissolved in it took about 75% of the acne off of my daughters face. I saw SOME results on the second day.

The egg yolk has vitamin A in it, which is why it is so yellow. The aspirin is an anti-inflammatory to take some of the red out.

I had her put it on her face, let it sit for 60 seconds, then rinse it off. I am told that after a while on it that once a week will do it. She didn't need to stay with it because she is still young enough to just have occasional outbreaks.

I suppose you could use aspercream instead of a dissolved aspirin. The dissolved aspirin is rather grainy.

11. FrankTheTank

FrankTheTank Well-Known Member

Accutane will do it...

However...its very expensive(VERY!), causes mutated babies (if you get pregnant), a prescription is needed, and it makes it worse before it gets better. I've also heard it come up lately during the Vioxx government hearings, seems it might do other things??(suicide?)

I've seen it and its a miracle for clearing up skin...but it doesn't work for everyone and the acne can comeback after a year(??) or so.

For curious minds, Accutane is a synthetic relative of Vitamin A

12. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

I don't think that's a very natural remedy. :eek:

13. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

After you've tried all the natural remedies, you might try seeing a dermatologist. I finally gave in and took my son who had it really, really bad. Doc says this kind needed an antibiotic, and put him on low dose, long term doxicicline. You have to take it regularly, and it may bother your stomach at first, but it worked the miracle we needed on my son's face. It went from all red to beautiful, clear skin. This is not an overnight fix. It takes a couple of months to show really significant improvement.
    mary

14. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

You might also ask for a full skin allergy tests. I kept having very bad psorasis (sp?) on the soles of my feet. Went through the drug routine (basically anti-organ rejection drugs) with no change. Finally asked if it could be allergy related. A skin test showed I was mildly allergic to a common ingredient in most laundry soaps. When I switched to washing my socks separately in mild dishwashing detergent the problem went away almost overnight.

Ken Scharabok

15. mamabear

mamabear Well-Known Member

Good evening,
    Almost two years ago my middle son was having acne problems. At the same time I received some goat milk soap from Freedom Farm. Quite by accident (we had ran out of his regular soap) he tried the goat milk soap. It cleared his face up and he hasn't had any since.
    I can't promise that it would work for everyone, but it worked miracles for him as his was pretty bad.
    Freedom Farm's website is www.freedomfarmsoap.com.
    Have a great evening.
    mamabear

16. ed/IL

ed/IL Well-Known Member

Sun and wind worked for me. I bought a motorcycle in my teens and the wind helped a lot. Also swimming seemed to help.

17. buttercup

buttercup Well-Known Member

birthcontrol pills and regular sex.

BC

18. nodak3

nodak3 Well-Known Member Supporter

Check with your doc first--sometimes hormones are the problem and nothing you put on your face will help. That said, cured my acne of 38 long years by totally giving up makeup and putting only plain water on my face.

19. second_noah

second_noah Local Yokel

Not havin the latter so I don't need the former! DARN! :D Oh well! lol

Have heard that BC makes it better though...

I think I am going to try the cleansing diet thing. I have contemplated it before and since I won't be going to see a doc anytime soon for skin problems, I will just have to medicate myself somehow.

~Christina

20. C@TFISH

C@TFISH smells like garlic

Depending on the kind of person ya are this might sound gross and some ppl may not believe this but it's the God's honest truth.
    A guy I know had acne really bad, what he did to treat it was this...
    His girlfriend would collect her menstral of the first few days for him to apply to his face. Sorry I don't recall how long he sat around with it on his face, but I'm guessing it's collagen in her blood that heals the skin. Good for the skin even if you don't have acne too.
    Since your female, you can use your own :haha:
    I remember hearing about a newborns urine good for the skin too but don't remember much about that one. (so don't try it unless you hear it from somewheres else. :p )