Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are tossing around the idea of having a natural gas well dug. There is underground gas in our area, and the idea of having endless free heat is appealing of course. Hubby was talking to a guy around here who has one, he heats a giant greenhouse as well as his other buidlings with it, and HE SAYS it doesn't cost him a dime. Is that true?

Does anyone here have one? Are there any pros/cons?

Can you give me a range of what they cost to install? $5,000 or $25,000?

Are they safe? I have this image in my head of a giant gas explosion!!!!

Obviously I can call a company who installs them, but I wanted to see if I could get real life opinions before I talk to a sales guy.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
43,315 Posts
If you don't have one, then there's probably NOT a commercial reservoir (underground formation with hydrocarbons) on your property. You'd already have been contacted by a land man, trying to write a contract for an oil/gas company to drill there.

This isn't a do-it-yourself project. You have to have professional geology work done (which they won't do without being paid by an oil/gas company), contracts/leases, and then the HUGE expense of the drilling rig, rig hands, engineer, etc etc etc.

Companies do not "install" gas wells. They drill for oil/gas if there's a chance to make a profit. *Sometimes* the landowner gets free gas, along with a percentage of the net from production. You don't get all the money OR gas.

·
Still an :censored:
15,870 Posts
I imagine a shallow well, 3,000 to 5,000 feet, will cost $500,000 to $1,000,000 to drill. You need to own the mineral rights if you're planning to do that. The previous post had a lot of good info.

·
Still an :censored:
15,870 Posts
You're not dumb. Most folks are familar with drilling a water well. Oil and gas wells involve different rigs to get to the right depth and all of the other associated equipment such as high volume, high pressure compressor skids; the need for lots of water and a temporary lined pond for the tailings; etc.

Generally speaking it takes about two weeks of drilling three shifts to get to the right depth for a shallow well. You've got at least four people on the rig not counting the tool pusher. Plus you have all the others hauling materials in, the well loggers which will determine at which depths the gas is available, plus the equipment to capture the oil that is produced, etc. etc.

That doesn't include building the road to and the location to setup the rig.

·
Crazy Canuck
4,172 Posts
I've got a gas well here but it's not mine and do not get any free gas from it, they just pay a bit of rent every year for the area it sits on.

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
12,333 Posts
Can you give me a range of what they cost to install? $5,000 or $25,000?

Are they safe? I have this image in my head of a giant gas explosion!!!!

Obviously I can call a company who installs them, but I wanted to see if I could get real life opinions before I talk to a sales guy.
Shallow wells around here start in the 800K range... on up to +5M.

It is rare for a natural gas well to explode... at least in a gigantic fireball type of explosion... so many safety regs and equip that has to be installed...

If you find a 'sales guy' willing to drill you a gas well, run away.

You have to have permits issued by the state, and own all the mineral rights within the unit.

If there was economically produceable gas, there'd probably already be a well on your place. I have read where a company will sell or give away an old unit, that costs more than it produces... in TX, you have to plug the well... you can't just 'abandon' it... and plugging starts around 10K and goes on up, depending on local factors.

I have a natural gas well on my place... it's been producing since the 50's, and the original lease allows one home to have unlimited free gas.

It's a blessing and a curse. I have unlimited free energy. I also have half an acre of well, compressor, tanks, road, etc. that I'll never be able to use for anything.....

·
43,315 Posts
Texican, I'd trade the loss of a half an acre for free natural gas. They can drill in my back yard ANYTIME. I'll move the swingset.

Hubby's an registered petroleum engineer, and we've already looked at our geology. It's not happening.

·
Registered
9,589 Posts
Alrightee, I feel kind of dumb!!! Thanks for the info, glad I didn't call anyone!
..................Actually , having your own gas well is a possibility ! West of Wichita Falls , Tx in and around a small community called Electra,tx there are very shallow producting oil wells which are mostly less than 1,000 feet deep . This production zone is called the "Gunsight" zone , these wells have been there for many years , now when first drilled there was probably some natural gas present along with the oil , but it has probably been flared and dissipated over the years . For oil\gas too remain trapped there , usually , there has to be an Impervious layer of hard rock above and below the oil\gas bearing zone too keep it from migrating through fractures in the harder rock .
...................The reason I mention this is because a water well drilling rig is perfectly capable of drilling a shallow Gas well just as it is capable of drilling a shallow water well , albeit quite a bit more expensive , probably Prohibitively so . Three factors are required , the cash , ownership of the minerals , and a competent driller . Keep hoping and doing your research ! , fordy:flameproofundies:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Earthkitty: yes please keep researching. My family poked a pipe in the ground and lit the gas with a match. The whole town did this. Another town started up called :Gas City. Many glass companies started up around there. (Ball Brothers was one). Eventually the gas ran out. But there are still pockets of gas. There could be some where you are.

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, the reason I had thought it possible is I looked at the oil/gas rig locations in my state, and they are all around me. One of the properties we looked at before we bought this one was selling with the current owner retaining the mineral rights...I thought that was crazy! Who would buy a property without the rights???

Hubby has a couple of friends who are geologists; I think I'll have him see what they think.

G

·
There is a natural gas well on my property & I get unlimited free gas from it . My father-in-law owns the mineral rights & gets a royalty check from the gas the well produces . In my area it is common for the landowner to get free gas no matter who owns the mineral rights . It is also common for the landowner that doesn't own the mineral rights to get limited free gas , usually for the primary residence on the property . When my father-in-law leased the drilling rights he reserved unlimited free gas for the property as at the time he owned the property . I bought my property from him so he gets the royalty check & I get the gas . As far as I'm concerned it's a blessing to have the free gas . I have 74 acres & the space the well takes up doesn't bother me one bit .

·
43,315 Posts
Well, no, you aren't getting ripped off. The free gas is actually not the norm, but the exception.

Plus it all depends on your contract. If it's not in the contract, you can't expect to get it.:D

·
Registered
570 Posts
We have a gas lease, but won't have a well we will be in a pool from a neighbors well. We have an old gas well on the property that years ago was used (we did not owe then). When the gas company came to lease our land they said if the well was in operation now they could not lease from us. In our lease there is a clause that says if they drill a well you get so much gas per year but it is paid to you not the actual gas.

·
Premium Member
43,653 Posts
We have a gas well here on the place, and use it for heating and cooking. Its been a real asset to us. The well was drilled and developed by a fly by night oil company about 20 years ago who had a two year renewable lease. Since they were crooks and had oversold shares by about 300 percent and couldnt afford to actually sell any gas they abandoned the wells. The mineral rights reverted to the landowners and we wound up having a really good well already drilled, cased and capped for free. It cost us a couple thousand bucks getting it piped 1500 feet, including regulators and fittings, to the house and shop, but its been well worth it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts