Anyone have a JD Garden Tractor

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by moonwolf, Jul 1, 2005.

1. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

I think it's model G110 which has the 54" deck and larger wheel sizes.The next model down is L130 which is classed as a 'lawn tractor' and had 48" deck.
    The Husqvarna model 1848XP has 48" deck.

I checked out all these and the Husqvarna rides nice and quiet, looks fairly rugged overall. Has the Kawasaki engine 18 hp. The JD models have Intek Briggs and Stratton engines with 22 hp and 25 hp for the G110.
    I like the idea of JD because of their known reliability and availablity of parts and dealer service locally.

If anyone has the larger garden tractor size, I'de be interested in hearing your opinions and if you use it for more than lawn cutting?

2. nicholascovey

nicholascovey Well-Known Member

The JD garden tractors aren't as reliable as you might think. Plus, any part with green pain might as well be painted in 24K gold for what it costs. I worked in a JD warehouse in college. They throw away their inventory every time a part number gets changed, so I guess the cost goes directly to the consumer. JD by and large is not what it was up until the mid-80's. It's going the way of GM and Ford and as such, quality and reliability is slipping.

3. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Moonwolf, pls. state the uses you have for such a tractor and I am confident you will get some good suggestions for the machine applicable to the tasks.

4. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

I have had to get JD parts for lawn tractor and also a JD snowblower without any problems. Just recently also. All the companies are all the same when it comes to parts. I had to wait for a belt ordered through Husqvarna for a couple weeks. :shrug: JD paint is readily available through a local Menard's paint shop if I needed that instead of through the dealer and higher markup, though paint for the Husquvarna or others is about the same if one needs paint for any garden tractor? So far I never bothered painting any lawn tractor I ever had including Honda, which I hated that lawn tractor, by the way.

agamantoo, I'm curious what others are using their garden sized tractors and asking who has specifically any of the ones mentioned JD G110 in particular.
    The obvious reason is lawn mowing, but I know some use them for garden chores with tiller attachment or for snowblowing, etc.???

5. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

We use a 1978 JD 210 lawn tractor. It is easy to fix mostly myself or with a neighbor's help (he just welded something for me). I bought the service manual which has been worth 10 times the $20 cover price. Parts are easy enough to get. Course it is a 10 HP engine. We aren't speedsters and it serves our purposes.

Another neighbor has burned through 2 new JD fancy big lawn tractors in the last 4 years. He doesn't mow all that much, but getting them repaired is a pickle. The mower wouldn't start and he had to take it to the dealer to have the computer (!!) checked, so even the neighbor's brilliance with machines was no help, since he didn't have the diagnostic tools. Do you really need a computer brain for a mower or a hydraulic component (which also went bad and had to be taken to dealer to fix). Now, same brilliant neighbor works on small engines as a side business and he sees all kinds. After the other neighbor's fiasco and a few others brought in, he has advised us that when we are ready to purchase a newer mower it should be another brand. That is, unless I can find a perfect condition 1970's or 80's model ;)

FWIW

6. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

The older JD tractors are work horses, Parts are plentifiul. JD has one of the best parts reputation of any one.

The newer tractors, I am not sure they will last as long as the older ones did but then most people dont care. Get a 5-10 years out of something and its time to replace regardless if it needs it or not.

the JD 318 20 year old tractor still sells used for upto $3000 with nothing but a mower attachment. Its rock solid.

If your someone who will get a new tractor when the shine leave the current one then, skip JD, find yourself a MTD and replace it every few years.

7. sylvar

sylvar Well-Known Member

Hi Moonwolf,
    I have a JD GT 245. I love it to death. I mow our 3 acres with it mostly, but I pulled the truck out of a ditch with it once. I have used to haul limbs to the burn pile. I want one of those tillers real bad, but I haven't managed to find one at auction yet.

Sylvar

8. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

We've got a JD L120 (I think) and have had it for almost 2 years. Wish it were bigger (42" deck I think) since we mow a good 4 acres weekly with it. It's got about 150 hours on it, and other than replacing spark plugs and other routine maintenance it has run just fine. We can get "JD" maintenance things at Home Depot and if we ever have to have it fixed, the dealer will even come out and pick it up for us (good because we don't have a trailer). We'll probably get a bigger one next time but the small one was all we could afford at the time.

9. Ana Bluebird

Ana Bluebird Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a JD that's about 5 years old, my son has a bigger and more expensive one 3 years old and we would both recommend that you look for something else besides John Deere. We've both had nothing but trouble. I've finally found a local back-yard mechanic that can keep them going because they do require a lot of maintenance. Good luck.

10. cloverfarm

cloverfarm Well-Known Member

MIL and I share a JD rider mower. I don't know the model number off the top of my head but it has the engine in the back because we both have to mow around trees.

We've had a lot of break downs, especially with the steering, I supposed from all the tight circles aroudn trees.

BUT, given the amount of hours and who's been operating it, I'm not surprised :yeeha: Sometimes when she mows it sounds like a war zone out there -- rocks and debris bouncing off metal barn siding, etc. At least she can keep it rolling. I've run over stuff and *whammo* broke the blade. And let's not talk about the little incident with my folks' RV! But between DH and FIL and our neighbor the gear-head and the JD dealership and the tire shop we've been able to keep it going for 10 or 12 years.

Ann