anyone have a good salsa recipe for fresh cherry tomatoes?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Mel-, Aug 29, 2004.

1. Mel-

Mel- Well-Known Member

I'm getting more than I can eat and no room to store cans so no canning. I love salsa though. I'd like a recipe that is not cooked in anyway (probably will buy canned green mild chiles).

I have some cilantro I froze back earlier in the summer to use. thanks in advance,

mel-

2. ed/IL

ed/IL Well-Known Member

I make mine with what ever I have around. tomatoes or tomatillos, peppers hot and mild, oinion cilantro garlic etc. put in blender and blend for few seconds. Add a little lemon and salt if you like. I put my veggies on the grill for a 5 or 10 minutes before blending but not necessary..

3. gardengirl1021

gardengirl1021 Member

Mel I just had to thank you for making such a great suggestion for how to use those cherries! Hadn't even occured to me, and just today I swore I wouldn't plant cherries again because I just don't use 'em and they're going to rot by the hundreds. I don't have a no-cook recipie (mine calls for skinning) so will be interested to see any replies, also does anyone have luck freezing salsa? Though it does keep awhile in the fridge if you use a bit of vinigar. . .

4. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

One of my favorites is a raw "Summer Salsa".
    It calls for three medium tomatoes but I usually fill a bowl. I chop the tomatoes fairly small with or without the skins. If the tomatoes are juicy I throw them in a colandar as I am chopping so the extra juice will drain.
    The recipe calls for a small can of chopped green chiles but I use the chile peppers out of the garden (cook a little to get them tender). My husband likes it hot so I will make two batches and put jalepenos (sp?) in his.
    You can use onions, I prefer green onions.
    I believe the recipe calls for garlic but I don't use it.
    And one small can of chopped ripe olives, this adds a nice color and taste.
    Into this mix add olive oil and vinegar (I think the recipe calls for 3T oil and 1T vinegar but I like it the other way around). This is best if you let it set for a while but it won't last long!

5. stumpyacres

stumpyacres Well-Known Member

I saw a show where the guy cut the cherry toms in half and added them to his chilli - also I add lime not lemon juice.