Anyone have a booth at an Antique Mall?

Discussion in 'Work-at-Home Business' started by SeaGoat, Jul 12, 2013.

1. thesedays

thesedays Well-Known Member Supporter

Haven't been around here for a while, but I thought I'd stop by and update everyone on how I'm doing.

I'm going to pull my booth that's 40 miles away, because the last few times I've gone there, the owner has been VERY nasty to me. :stars: Other vendors have said the same thing, and it just isn't worth it any more. Her business partner is having a hard time dealing with her, too. I've heard that the business isn't doing well. Gee, I wonder why. Running off your customers doesn't help matters!

In the meantime, I downsized one booth that didn't make any money, and my oldest booth, the one in the consolidated building, is doing OK. I'm going to move all the stuff from the OOT booth into that one, because the booth owner next to mine pulled his things out at the beginning of the month. Yesterday, a friend and I moved some shelves in, and earlier today, I brought in some extra books and CDs that I had on hand.

My Amazon business has had its ups and downs too; I'm always happy to see "SOLD - ship now" in my e-mail list.

:buds:

2. MountainGirl56

MountainGirl56 New Member

I'm glad to see this thread has a new message or two. I have read through all the old posts and have really enjoyed and benefitted from them.

I started an antique booth about 6 weeks ago. It's $170/month for 100 sq. ft. plus 10% commission. I love it, but I can relate to the comments about staying up nights wondering if anything will sell and if I'll make the rent. So far I have, but trying to figure out what sells and at what price seems to be an art.

I started the booth with lots of stuff from my parents (who are downsizing) and my own acquisitions from past antique mall expeditions. I had a grandmother who was an avid collector of porcelain. Too bad porcelain doesn't seem to sell well in this area! I really don't believe in keeping items in boxes, they should be displayed and enjoyed, and sometimes I like to change things out. If I'm not using it, it's time to give someone else a chance.

I try and visit the booth twice per week, adding new items as others sell. I love to go to thrift stores and find pieces that the workers apparently do not know are vintage/antique. I also love to upcycle and remake items that look pretty useless to others.

There's some great advice on this thread so keep it up! I can use it.

thesedays likes this.

3. thesedays

I went to that booth today and took as much with me as I could. I had planned to make two trips, and now I'll have to, because I took some things to a consignment shop down the road......and left my dolly cart there.

Oops!

I mean, loaded the things they wouldn't take into my car, and left it on the sidewalk! I must have been more tired than I thought.

:stars: :censored:

I was planning to go back on Sunday or Monday to retrieve the rest, but I think I'll have to do it on Saturday instead. The consignment shop is closed on Sun&Mon, the antique store on Tuesdays, and I'm paid through the 15th.

To my pleasant surprise, I'd also sold quite a few items, so I have less to bring back than I thought I would, and the owner was pleasant to deal with today as well.

4. thesedays

Three trips. I went back the next day and got the cart, and some of my books too. I was going to take the booth down for good today (I'm paid through the 15th and they're closed on Tuesdays) but I'm not feeling well, and called to ask if I could do it Wednesday. She said that was fine.

I think my forgetfulness was a sign of my impending illness. I think I have a viral sinus infection. :(

Plus, keeping the booth for 2 extra days may mean that people will buy stuff, and I'll get more $$$$$$ and have to move less stuff.

5. DanyellL

DanyellL Well-Known Member

YAY! Some new post!

Welcome to MountainGirl and good luck with your new booth!

And *waves* Thesedays! Hopefully since you are keeping your booth for 2 more days, things will fly off the shelf! And I hope you feel better soon!

We are doing pretty well this month. Summer was pretty rough for us. But I swear the first crisp morning here in the South gets people anxious to buy stuff! Which is great! So hopefully it will continue to be a great fall and holiday season for us!

thesedays likes this.
  6. jlxian

jlxian Also known as Jean Supporter

Just a reminder that on syfy tonight at 8:00 (CT) the flea market which has my booth will be on Ghost Hunters.

thesedays likes this.
  7. thesedays

Did you see your booth?

8. jlxian

No, I didn't. Their focus was mostly on the basement and second floor. But that is okay. They've aired the episode 3 times now in two weeks. Petty amazing. Did anyone on here see it?

thesedays likes this.
  9. jlxian

My husband and I made these pumpkins to put in our booth. In October, the town has a huge week long fair, ending with a parade. There should be a lot of traffic in the flea market during that time.

Attached Files:

ldc likes this.
  10. jlxian

I gave notice at my flea market I will close my booth at the end of the month. Too much frustration and few sales. Even during the fall festival, nothing sold. Bummer.

11. thesedays

You have to do what's right for you. My two remaining booths didn't do well in November (both owners said the whole stores didn't have much business) but did a lot better last months. My Amazon account is doing quite well too.

:bowtie:

12. Duffy

Duffy New Member

My wife and I are planning on taking the Antique Mall booth plunge as soon as one is available. We are gathering stock to prepare. Are you using tax deductions for your booth? Are you registered as a Sole Proprietorship? Do you deduct rent at the antique mall you are at, but your home as well where you store inventory? Any other thoughts when it comes to reporting taxes?

Thank you!

13. thesedays

Coming back after being away for a while: When I last posted here, I had two booths, but now have only one because one of the malls closed about a year ago. Unfortunately, the mall where I'm doing business now is losing vendors left and right to a 3rd business that opened down the road. Such is life.

14. OzarksFarmGirl

OzarksFarmGirl Member

I have two booths at one of the three local antique malls and am on the waiting list for a third, larger booth there. The mall I'm at was the first in the area and has been in business for over 20 years and there is never a day I've passed by and not seen at least a dozen customer vehicles there. Needless to say, there is a long waiting list for booths. Of the other two malls, though one is several times larger and packed to the roof, rarely does it have any customers and so vendors are starting to bail. And I've noticed last month that the mall has been redesigned to sell typical new retail merchandise ... furniture, large appliances, mattresses, etc.. When it comes to the third mall, I've often been the only person in the entire building, save for one employee. It's been there about 5 years, but I don't see it staying in business for much longer, which is sad because their layout is very customer friendly and their computerized system for vendors is really nice.