Anyone had any experiences with Reiki healing?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by fin29, Nov 2, 2004.

1. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

I'm curious about your opinions about Reiki, whether or not you have experienced it, and what it has or hasn't done for you.

For those of you who don't know what it is, it's a form of natural healing that seeks to balance your body's energy centers (chakras) through gentle touch, performed by a Reiki healer. The basic idea mirrors acupuncture, though no needles are used.

2. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) Yes, my step son and his wife prattle on about it a lot. They tried it on my hubby many times.??????? He didn't notice anything different in how he felt and neither did I .

I think it's hog wash myself but I do know that many amazing things can happen with the human body if we will it so and have faith in what we are expecting.

Just the tests run by drug companies using the control group with placebos prove this. Many people think they are getting a drug to help and so feel better.

On the other hand if it worked the doctors and drug companies would be out of business don't you think? ;) And the healer would be up for the Nobel Prize. Ain't gonna happen! LOL

I guess I am not a fair judge as I am thinking the whole thing is silly.

LQ

3. bubbba

bubbba Well-Known Member

Whats youre experiences with it fin29?

My mother took a course on performing reiki and she has tried it a few times on me. I think it may of helped a little bit but I really didn't give it much of a chance and my mom is definate newbie so who knows how well she did.

I think there may well be something to it, chinese medicine has been practiced for a few thousand years and they were bound to come up with some good ideas over the years. Its my understanding that reiki is used to get the energy flowing properly in the body I dont know whether the practioner is meant to pass on or take up any actual energy or what the deal is exactly. (im sure someone is thinking "darn hippy"" lol)

Intresting thread.

4. Old John

Old John Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi Y'All,

Yeah, I do know somewhat about it. I've known Reiki-Healers
    & Practitioners. And, sometimes they work.

However, from my experience, Reiki is very much like "Faith-
    Healing", Witchcraft, and other miracle-cures, or magic bullets.
    I've been interested in, studied and been around many such Folks,
    over the years. It's all interesting. And, some Folks believe it, to the
    core.

Sometime each of them will work. Mostly they will not.
    There is "anecdotal evidence" for each of them, Reiki, Faith-healing,
    Witchcraft and magic bullets. There is NO SCIENTIFIC Evidence,
    for any of them.
    They work much better if you have a strong BELIEF in them.

Bottom line, I would NOT bet my LIFE or my HEALTH on any of them.
    And, that is speaking from some good measure of experience.

5. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

I've been a bodyworker for over 10 years so I have had experience with Reiki. My friends and I know it as 'flaky Reiki" but then I approach the world scientifically and judge the trainings for Reiki and practitioners fairly harshly, I admit. I have tried it and find that I miss actually being touched by a practitioner and find that more beneficial personally.

That said, if you told me that standing on your head and sticking your tongue out for 10 minutes twice a day cured you of your arthritis why would I want you to quit doing it? More power to you. Just don't expect me to endorse it or you trying to make money from it. Its probably the old placebo effect and what your mind is believing. Our brains are very powerful healers on their own.

(Disclaimer: please do not write to me if you try standing on your head and bite your tongue!)

6. JerseyLightning

JerseyLightning Well-Known Member

fin29, I haven't been on the board much lately as I've been busy elsewhere, so I didn't see your post until now.

I'm a certified Reiki master/teacher. Like most people, I was skeptical when I first learned about it from a friend over 10 years ago. I might still say I'm skeptical, but I've seen it work, so who am I to question it. And because it is based in a premise that you as an individual cannot heal someone else, unless you yourself are healed, it has been personally beneficial as well.

I do, by choice, primarily pet reiki, but I also do it for family members and friends, as well. I have a good friend who is a runner and lives almost two hours away; he will contact me before a run to do a distance healing and swears that it works for him.

How much of it is psychological and how much is real, who knows. Interestingly, I cannot do a treatment without asking the recipient's permission. The person has to be open to receiving a treatment in order for it to be most effective. Although it is an ancient form of healing, it is too "New Age" for some folks. You really need to try it and form your own opinion. Let me know if you have any questions!

Regards,

Kathleen in NJ

7. JerseyLightning

BCR -- just curious -- what type of Reiki did you experience, because Reiki is very hands on, so I can't quite fathom why you say you missed actually being touched. The only place a Reiki practitioner is trained to do the hold over, rather than on, are the chakras for the breasts and genitals. Unless you had a distance healing, it doesn't sound like you got the full effect!

Kathleen in NJ

8. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

Sometimes I do Reiki on people. Usually, they feel a difference, but sometimes they don't. You have to be open to it, and if you are not, it's not going to do anything. Many times changes are being made that you are unaware of. For instance, perhaps the Reiki helps you to let go of some of your anger, or detoxes your left lung a little. You are not going to jump off the table feeling like a new person. I also believe that it can depend on the person performing the Reiki; some people are better healers than others.

There are many energy modalities being used today, with Reiki probably being the gentlest. You can help people with it, but you can't screw up and hurt them. The woman who works on me uses Reiki sometimes, but usually uses other methods that are more potent. If you are considering Reiki, go ahead, it can't hurt you. Some practitionors make attempts to contact spirits. If this isn't something that you want, simply say so.

9. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Jersey-oh, he touched me but it is nothing at all like a full body massage. I prefer muscles pulled and prodded and shifted around. Just my preference.

People have to try what calls to them for whatever reason. People can heal themselves if they listen and if that includes Reiki, well, heck, I won;t stand in the way. You just won't catch me endorsing it or referring for it at this time.

10. stirfamily

stirfamily Well-Known Member Supporter

My DH does theraputic touch and has taken some classes in it as well. In one of his classes he worked on a woman who hadn't been pain free in years, she cried after he finished with her and wanted to come home with him! We believe in it very strongly.

Karen in NE Indiana

11. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

I respectfully agree and disagree with the above posts :) I have a good friend who was a natural. The moment she heard abut Reiki she "knew" it and she has helped a lot of people in the last 15 years without ever taking a class. Like all things there are people who are gifted and people who are learning or really not gifted and shouldn't be practicing (ever had blood drawn by a novice who got it like a pro? or vice versa?) We should all be skeptical because there is reason to be, but not to the extreme that we close ourselves off from gifted healers. there is much more to our bodies than the physical.

12. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Tango-that last sentence sums it up.

If you are interested in mind/body science, you might find this new movie interesting. Its called "What the Bleep Do We Know" and includes quantuum physics, science, spirituality, etc. I haven't seen it as it isn't playing here yet. I may have to eventually buy the DVD. It may be playing in your area-it is playing in Canada as well.

Read all about it here: What The Bleep Movie

13. JerseyLightning

In truth, the only way that you are supposed to practice Reiki is if you have been attuned to the symbols. The only way to be attuned is have this done by a Reiki master/teacher. There is a considerable amount of training involved in order to do Reiki properly and effectively. The online "attune yourself" courses should be eyed with suspicion. You can check the International Center for Reiki Training at http://www.reiki.org/ for specific information on attunements.

When the first set of symbols are passed, the Level One Reiki practitioner needs to then wait approximately 3 months before they can be attuned to the second set. This is to allow for a period of physical healing. After receiving the second attunement, you must wait at least a year to allow for emotional healing. After a period of a year, you can receive the final attunement and teacher training, but must wait at least another year before you can pass the attunements to anyone; this last year is to facilitate spiritual healing.

If you have taken any of the levels, you can do Reiki just using whatever symbols you have received up to that point but cannot do the advanced ones until you have been attuned to them. And, depending on what teacher you go to, some teachers will take longer to pass the attunements -- it depends upon how much personal healing has taken place between each attunement. Remember, reiki is about healing yourself before you can heal others.

Also, be aware that there is a sort of subversive movement in Reiki where people have decided to make up their own symbols, attunements, etc. This sort of thing is questionable and generally discouraged by the Institute which tries to maintain some of the purity of the original Usui/Takata school of thought.

Kathleen in NJ

14. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Yeah, all sounds weird to me.

Attuned to the symbols huh? Like the dow jones or what?

15. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

Kinda like some dude in a dress turning wine into blood and bread into flesh. ;) That must be why the nuns at the biggest Catholic charity hospital in the state think it's groovy and have 40 Reiki healers on speed dial. We can't have empirical evidence for everything--there would be no room for faith if that were the case.

Seriously, I think it has a lot to do with the body's ability to heal itself if its owner focuses on it. I also think that there are lots of healing modalities that are untapped, and my my theory is that if it works, whether it's through the placebo effect or not, the net effect is the same.

I've seen it work on others, it has worked on me, and I received my first degree attunement a few weeks ago. :)

16. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

I've been watching this thread and am glad to see I'm not the only one skeptical of Reiki. I've actually been skeptical of it ever since a naturopath tried to convince me I was a natural born Reiki healer.

:haha:

I mean, I am a pretty optimistic person but that's just silly.

I'm also saying this as someone who's been rolfed (dude! :yeeha: absolutely the right thing to do, but only with someone who really knows what they're doing!), and someone who made it through a number of years living in a very big city and working very intense jobs and having a fairly intense personal life and surviving in one piece only by the grace of accupressure, shiatsu and other kinds of therapeutic massage.

One of my best friends is a therapeutic masseuse and longtime yoga practitioner and teacher. She's as skeptical of Reiki as I. Now that isn't to say there isn't something to the *vibe* of a person --- some people are miserable to be around and others aren't --- but Reiki, well I just don't know.

17. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

BTW, let me add, I actually place a lot of creedence in some fairly unusual kinds of treatments. I have thoracic outlet syndrome, which is similar to carpal tunnel, except it extends from the neck and shoulders. I went through Feldenkraiz a few years back --- Feldenkraiz essentially retrains the nerves and muscles, a very unusual approach. And it worked. :D As it has for many other people.

I've seen no similar results for Reiki. I suspect Reiki depends too much on a kind of placebo effect.

18. JerseyLightning

Fin, congratulations on the attunement! As you go through the whole process, you should see it work for you more and more. It is an interesting journey to go through and to see the changes in yourself.

Which Catholic Charity is using it, if you don't mind my asking? I've seen a trend towards more hospitals having either someone on staff, or at least a referral service. And I get pet referrals through a local holistic vet. It is always good to see that the use of Reiki is spreading -- any method of healing that doesn't rely on chemical substances is worth the while.

Kathleen in NJ

19. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

Saint Mary's Hospital in Lewiston, ME. They have a bunch of practitioners on call 24/7, and any patient that requests it gets it.

20. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Fin--comparing Reiki to religion just continues to support why I think it is invalid. You have to be a "true believer" one of the "faithful" who gets healed? Inconsistent results that can't be duplicated? All of this just says false science.

Ain't nothing wrong with the placebo effect, you just need to realize it when you see it.