Anyone growing these apple trees?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Ed in S. AL, Jun 26, 2005.

1. Ed in S. AL

Ed in S. AL Well-Known Member

Looking to get some new trees this fall, the ones I got from Starks have yet to do a thing. I guess they just don't get enough cold hours being here on the guld coast. Has anyone grown any of these apples in the south?

Anna
    Ein Shemer
    Dorsett
    Red Fuji
    Yates

2. Becky H.

Becky H. Well-Known Member

The property we purchased has a few different varieties of apples. I don't know what they are. Some are just green and some are green/red but none are all red. Medium size fruit, not as big as a delicious or granny but not small like a crabapple. You're welcome to come take a look if you are ever in our neck of woods we're on the MS/AL border by Red Bay. We've got about 7 trees over here and if you can tell what they are maybe they're the variety you're seeking. Then that would answer your question ;)

One of these trees gets black spots on the apples which is just on the surface of it the rest of them don't have it yet. The trees have never been taken care of, pruned that is, we just acquired the property couple years ago and it's on my to do list. The first year we came was a bumper crop, last year not so much fruit, but this year again lots of fruit.

3. MARYDVM

MARYDVM Well-Known Member

I just put in an Anna tree a month ago. No apples, obviously, but it is holding up well under the desert sun and +100 degree temps. The guy at the nursery said he had one in his yard in Tucson that produced apples every year. Very few chill hours out here.

4. Becky H.

Becky H. Well-Known Member

Does anyone have a quick link handy since we're discussing apples to tell the difference between all of them just by the fruit?

I'm starting to favor one of my trees for it's fruit and the vigor of the tree. thru rain and drought and bugs it seems to be giving much more fruit than the rest. I'm watering it to pamper it a bit and get the best fruit without any falling from the lack of rain. It's got some dead branches and some type of borer holes I'll be working heavily on the trees after harvest.

5. LittleJohn

LittleJohn Well-Known Member

If you just take grafts from it it dosent mater what kind it is ;)

6. BeckyW

BeckyW Well-Known Member

When we lived 10 blocks from the beach in Oxnard, CA years ago I grew Anna apples. Now summer in Oxnard (45 min north of LA) is very foggy. We were zone 10 - never frosted. That Anna did fabulously. I grew in rich loam soil. Mine started producing its second year - yours should do a small crop in 2006 or 2007.