Anyone grow sunchokes?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by HilltopDaisy, Feb 4, 2005.

1. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm trying to grow more foods that require little or no processing, so I wondered if/what you can tell me about these tubers. How do you cook them? How far apart to plant them? How deep? Any help at all is greatly appreciated.

2. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

I planted some several years ago. They grow about 8' tall with a small sunflower. They make a good shade screen. Once planted they will spread and come up every year. I just poked them down about 4" in tilled ground and they grew. You can cut the individual tubers in half and each will sprout. Mine were planted about 8" apart, but they will fill in with the undergound tuber growth and be closer over the years.
    Eat the tubers steamed or slightly cooked, or sliced thin raw in salads.
    Not much taste to them, so they are better seasoned. Sunchokes are good for you healthwise. The flower smells like chocolate.

3. lilsassafrass

lilsassafrass Well-Known Member

Make sure where you plant them is where you want them ! Over time if you are not diligent about harvesting , they will take over their spot , And when you weed or thin out make sure those are well composted , because increadibly small tubers and roots will propagate, and you dont want them all over.
    They are best eaten after they have gone through a killing frost (but can be dug and eaten any time ) When using and you want to peel them , make sure you drop the pieces in acidulated water as they will darken with air contact.
    They can be used in almost any potato recipe,as well as stir fry, and raw.
    For diabetics the starch actualy converts to a sugar that diabetics can usally assimalate. sun chokes also contain inulin,which is helpful for diabetics as well ..
    Pity I have never been able to get my diabetic spouse to aquire a taste for them. I do slip them in from time to time unbeknownst.....
    I personally think eaten raw they taste on the order of a water chestnut and have used them as a substitute in recipes .

4. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

We grow them. They're very easy and make lots of tubers. They store great in the ground all winter, actually better than in the fridge. You almost have to leave them in the same place year after year. After they come back up in the spring just weed them back to what you want to grow.
    We love them sliced and sauteed in a little olive oil. As they brown they get really sweet. It's more trouble, but you can also grate them like hash browns, mix in egg, salt and pepper and cook them in patties. We don't like them steamed, boiled or mashed. Kinda blah tasting. Also, we don't peel them, just scrub off with a veg. brush under running water.

5. Sylvia

Sylvia Well-Known Member