Anyone grow rice?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by DenverGirlie, Dec 24, 2006.

1. DenverGirlie

DenverGirlie Well-Known Member

I know rice can be grown in a bucket... but anyone put their pond to use for growing rice? And if so how much are you able to harvest a year?

thanks

2. swampgirl

swampgirl Well-Known Member

I was wondering the same thing. And, where do they get the seed, & certainly, it must produce viable seed? Grains for human consumption do not grow well where I live. Many farmers in S. W. Louisiana grow rice commercially, but their seed is treated. Let's hear from anybody who grow small amounts for their families, or animals?

3. DenverGirlie

DenverGirlie Well-Known Member

I've found seed online and was watching a show on PBS yesterday and they were profiling a Native American tribe in Minnesota that grows wild rice. I knew about the bucket expereiment already, but it peaked BF's interest, thus the post.

4. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

Upland rice could be grown in your present garden, no need for flooding or special water needs.

Looks like it would be a short season crop. Now if one can find seed---

5. Old Vet

Old Vet In Remembrance

I used to grow rice comercily. The seed is the rice kernials before they are milled. You can get seed that is treated or not. The trated seed is trated to prevent many of the deseases and to protect it from being eaten by blackbirds. You can grow rice without floding the area but it needs to be watered most of its life everyday. Flooding is to prevent weeds from taking over.If you don't raise it in water you need to treat the area for weeds on a regulary bases. If you raise rice in a pond you can do this by plainting in shollow water (6 inches or less) then fertilising it well. You can get about 100 lbs from a 20X20 area.If you don't fertilise it then you will get much less. The rice must be dried and then milled to keep it for any long time. The kernials are not white like the ones that you see in the grocery store but are covered in a dark husk that must be removed then you have brown rice. The milling is what brings out the white color.

6. Windy in Kansas

If I may ask Old Vet, where were you living when you were growing rice? I have seen rice in Alabama and Arkansas and probably other places and just didn't know what it was.

Is there anyway for a home producer to take the hulls off and mill/polish the rice? Perhaps running it for several hours in a cement mixer, then a fanning mill?

How long from planting until harvest? I read that some varieties grow start to finish in 3 months.

What month was the rice for your area planted? What zone?

I'd like to give rice a try. Thanks

7. Paranoid

Paranoid Homebrewed Happiness

Please list online sources for seed.
    I am interested both in the highland (dry) and the lowland (flooded) rice. I havent found any, yes I know google is my friend, but it seems the sources for rice seed are scarce.

Brown rice is not sprout able correct?

8. Windy in Kansas

It looks like this company will have seed rice for sale, which kind and varieties I don't know. Their site is undergoing changes and will remain off line for several more days.

http://www.wildlifeseeds.com/info/rice.html

9. Paranoid

Paranoid Homebrewed Happiness

forget it, the brown rice i love and buy by the 10 pound bag already has prooven sproutable.

just about every single grain of rice, that i put in water for 2 days and then maintained a moist oxygen rich atmosphere has sprouted.

good, cause i didnt relish the thought of looking all over for a tasty rice based on names that came close to the rice i already know and love.

the stuff i am eating now is an organic shortgrain (i prefer short) rice out of california. I just dont know if it is a flood rice or a dry rice, but if i plant it both ways, i'm sure to find out :)

10. Zebraman

Zebraman Well-Known Member

Hey Guys;Its Wild Rice that won't sprout,from grocery as it has already been partially pre-cooked.I received Carolina Golden Rice from SSL this past year to grow.Anybody know anything about this? It is Not GMO/Golden Rice.-