Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Ravenlost said:
I am very interested in growing Jerusalem artichokes next year. Anyone grow them and have helpful advice to pass along?
Make sure you water them through a dryspell, or when you pull up the plants, they won't be there.

·
Master Of My Domain
7,220 Posts
RoseGarden said:
And make sure you're in a well ventilated room after you eat them :p

i agree, lol. thank goodness i lived alone when i ate them fried with potatoes and onions.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I planted them six inches apart and six inches between the rows. I got lazy and didn't harvest them last fall. Bad mistake. Now I got a one row of them all close together. It does look cool. I like them raw the best. But keep them watered.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
They are wonderful. They are also invasive. So plant them in a raised bed and don't let them escape! lol

Dig them in the fall after the first hard freeze. Don't worry about leaving enough or replanting. There will always be enough next year!

Love them! Makes me wish we had a freeze right now.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I never plant them in the garden. They grow like weeds here. Ijust go down the lane somwheres in the the drainage ditch and dig as many as i want. No need in doing more work than u have too. They are pretty good i like them fresh as well, not too bad fixed with fried potatoes. bye

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Where do you get starter plants? Do you just plant the ones you get in the veggie section in the store? The only place they sell them here is health food stores, but I've been wanting to grow some for a long time. Should I try those?

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
I grew a patch of J. artichokes along the south side of a chicken pen for summer shade. They grew up to 9 ft. tall and had beautiful chocolate smelling sunflowers. The tubers harvested in early fall were a welcome addition for salads. We like them raw sliced that way. Cook them lightly, only steamed until tender.
They are easy to grow and not invasive if you manage where you want them to grow.
Best along an 'edge' or border where you mow along their sides or the fence on the other side with chickens will assure they won't spread. In a garden, I'd plant them along the north border and maybe allow some vining peas or beans to grow up them. :shrug:

·
Registered
289 Posts
naturewoman said:
Where do you get starter plants? Do you just plant the ones you get in the veggie section in the store? The only place they sell them here is health food stores, but I've been wanting to grow some for a long time. Should I try those?
That is where a freecycler got them---in the veggie section of Walmart. My question: are there times when you can find them in the veggie sections of stores more than other times during the growing season??

·
Master Of My Domain
7,220 Posts
i have seen them in stores from time to time...except for when i was looking to plant them, lol.

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
Often in the stores they are called 'sunchokes'

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Are the ones in the stores a heirloom variety that will reproduce true to the mother plant or are they now selling GE's ones that might not grow right? Does anyone know?

·
Premium Member
24,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
woodspirit said:
I am going to learn something new here I can just feel it. I've had them raw and they were great. But was' up w/ da ventilated room?
For some unfortunate folks they can cause, ummm, EXTREME gas. :hand:

Thanks everyone. I am definitely going to look into planting some. My chicken pen runs across the back of my garden so that would be a good place to plant them.

·
Master Of My Domain
7,220 Posts
Ravenlost said:
For some unfortunate folks they can cause, ummm, EXTREME gas. :hand:

Thanks everyone. I am definitely going to look into planting some. My chicken pen runs across the back of my garden so that would be a good place to plant them.

and eat them...lol.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I got the ones that I planted in the grocery store. They reproduced true to the originals. I doubt there's enough money in sunchokes to make genetic modification advantageous.

·
Master Of My Domain
7,220 Posts
woodspirit said:
Thinking of trying them next year in my garden too!

you just want more ammo...lol.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts