Anyone getting ready to tap trees in MI?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by gabbyraja, Jan 7, 2013.

1. gabbyraja

gabbyraja Well-Known Member

It just occurred to me today, that with the thaw coming this week, it might be time? Or, it's just a flukey thaw and we need to wait another month-ish?

We used to tap when I was a kid, up north, but now I'm in central MI and an adult and doing it on my own... I'm not sure when it should be done...

2. 7thswan

7thswan Well-Known Member Supporter

I have thought about it,but winter just got here. I didn't know that we were supposed to get some kind of thaw tho.Febuary and march is more like it,but it varys so much.

3. gabbyraja

I know, I think I remember last year they started in late January and were done after 2-3 weeks, because winter was so weird.

Yes, it'll be 40s soon, then 55 on Sunday, where we are. But they say then back down into the 20s. But I can't remember the rule of thumb for this temp in the day and this temp at night for sap to flow...

4. gabbyraja

"To obtain the earliest runs of sap, tapping should be completed by the middle of February in lower Michigan and by the first week of March in the northern portion of the state."

That means in the next few weeks...

5. gabbyraja

"Sap flow in maple trees will not occur every day throughout the tapping season. It occurs when a rapid warming trend in early to midmorning follows a cool (below freezing) night. Thus, the amount of sap produced varies from day to day. Normally, a single tap-hole produces from a quart to a gallon of sap per flow period (from a few hours to a day or more), with a seasonal accumulation of 10 to 12 gallons per tap-hole likely."

6. gabbyraja

So, according to that quote from SugarBush in Mason, we could definitely get some sap this week...

7. 7thswan

Wow, I guess I better get ready. My neighbors are new at it and they missed last year,so I better call them too. Thanks.

8. gabbyraja

Maybe it's a fluke week and we should wait until it's "real" thaw, but I honestly can't tell so well anymore. Weather's weirder every year.

9. Kris in MI

Kris in MI Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm waiting. This is just our usual January thaw.

troy n sarah tx and gabbyraja like this.
  10. LittleRedHen

LittleRedHen Well-Known Member Supporter

I am waiting. The cold returns after only a week. Last year I tapped as soon as i saw a neighboring sugar shack going. I managed to make 3 quarts of syrup off 4 trees!! short short season but even with the early spring i didn't tap until february

gabbyraja likes this.
  11. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

when the day time temps are in the 40s, and the night time temps are freezing. We normally tap around the send week of march. Watch the weather forcast.

Kris in MI and Tiempo like this.
  12. Big Dave

Big Dave Well-Known Member

Hope you post when yall tap michiganfarmer max. We are almost out and looking forward to ordering more of your FABULOUS syrup.

Tiempo likes this.
  13. ronbre

ronbre Brenda Groth Supporter

i see that this is an OLD thread..but think you'll be waiting a while with 2 clipper systems in the forcast and from what I hear, more behind them

Kris in MI likes this.
  14. Kris in MI

I was debating, but see that the weather forecast has changed (yet again, why is that no surprise!) to being cold for most of the next 10 days. Looking back at my records from the two years I've tapped so far, I see that I tapped in early March both times.

gabbyraja likes this.
  15. gabbyraja

Yap, I'm hanging in there a few more weeks.

16. Chixarecute

Chixarecute Well-Known Member Supporter

We haven't tapped for the last two seasons (or is it 3?), but if we had last year , we should have tapped by mid February. Usually, we tap between the second and third weeks of March. Keep an eye on the weather. It is getting weirder, and we could conceivably have an early (Feb) and a late (Mar) run.

17. gabbyraja

Well, we bought our spiels this week. We'll be drilling /tapping today. (The guys at the supply store, that tap hundreds of trees, are also tapping today and tomorrow) Wish us luck!

18. Kris in MI

I tapped on Tuesday. Not a lot coming yet, but some. A few of my trees (the sunnier ones) gave a gallon each yesterday. Should be flowing good this weekend.

HuskyBoris likes this.
  19. ronbre

ronbre Brenda Groth Supporter

well i went for a long walk today, and it was wonderful (even had shorts on)..

20. 7thswan

It's running here,cooken all day yesterday,started about 6 this morning.