anyone garden with seaweed?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by foxies, Jan 7, 2005.

1. foxies

foxies Well-Known Member

I just love the stuff.
    When people come for a visit they call first
    and ask
    what would I like from back home and I always say some seaweed.Well one friend did bring me a big bag full. :)
    I made a point telling everyone from back home how happy I was that this person come up with what I really wanted.So the next company that we had came up with 3 very big bag fulls. :)

2. bonnie lass

bonnie lass Semper Fi

I do, I love the stuff. I am fortunate enough to live near the beach. Everyday, I go to a local coffee shop that gives me their coffee grounds. I dump the grounds in the compost and then use those same bags when I go to the beach to pick up seaweed. It takes a little longer to break down, but I'm in no hurry. I also use it to mulch. I just read recently (my motto: if I'm not weeding, I'm reading) that if you spread the seaweed on on some blacktop (in the summer, of course) it will quickly dry out and can then be crumbled into a powder. I intend to try that this year :D

3. CoonXpress

CoonXpress Well-Known Member

Never tried real seaweed, but I do use lake weeds and algae that I gather when I go bowfishing. You can tell a huge difference between the weed/algae/fish fed tomatos and the Mira-Gro tomatos.

Will

4. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

I don't live near the oceans, but many lakes, and was wondering if 'lake weed' was similar. How do you go about harvetsing it Will?

5. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

My FIL uses seaweed, grass, cow manure and lots more on his garden. I think i'll get some after seeing this post and dry it too.

I plan on starting a compost this year for food scraps, etc.

I have what we call the Man Pile - everything from leaves, grass clippings, tree limps, logs, old pumpkins, etc. has been put there for 13 years. At one point it got it's name because i asked hubby if i won $$ if i could have it all removed, he then named it his "man pile" and said no way (not that he was using it). I started a veggie garden 3 years ago and now look at the pile very differently. The kids were trudging around in it since late summer and call it their jungle and now everything is broken down. I plan on excavating lots for my garden this year - probably even put those kids to work!

6. flutemandolin

flutemandolin mark an eight, dude!

Here in Minnesota, most lake shore property owners would be more than happy to allow you to hand harvest lake weeds around their docks. A 50 x 50 area can be cleared without a permit as long as there are no emergent plants (bulrushes) present. A lightweight rake is good for doing this. Or, there are companies that go around with a machine specifically designed for harvesting lake weeds. They need to find a place to dispose of them, so I'm sure they would gladly give them to gardeners. I've often thought of obtaining mulch this way if I had the time!

7. CoonXpress

CoonXpress Well-Known Member

Jackie, I just use a rake and a bunch of 5 gallon buckets. To use, I dig a trench through each raised bed about a week before I start harvesting the weeds/fish. Then bury at the rate of a gallon of weeds a foot, and put the fish in around 4-5lbs a foot.

Will

8. bonnie lass

bonnie lass Semper Fi

Hey brural, what part of Mass are you in? I'm on Cape Cod.

9. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Seaweed and lake weeds are excellent fertilizer. That from the ocean is very high in many trace minerals needed for the ultimate plant growth and health. Lake weeds contain a few less minerals but have many nutrients concentrated within them. There are weed cutters based on several of our local lakes. When they first went into use about 30 years ago, the city would mention where the contents would be dumped in case any gardeners wanted to use it. Now gardeners line up as soon as they learn that the machines are in the water!

Martin

10. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Excellent thoughts on the lake weeds.
    What I notice also on the beaver ponds in the back besides algie scum is some coontail and what looks like the stuff they sell for fish aquariums. Lots of lily pad growth. Maybe time to think about getting a canoefull of that stuff and pull it up to the garden or compost bin?

11. bonnie lass

bonnie lass Semper Fi

Welcome, neighbor Falmouth-ian :D So nice to meet you!!

12. foxies

foxies Well-Known Member

Oh Bonnie, what a small world... :) we live in :eek:
    Maybe the next time I drive over that Bourne Bridge :cool: We can meet and bag up a few bags of seaweed together on the beach :haha: Sorry I hate that drive 5 1/2 hours drive south. I went back to the Cape only for an over night one time in seven months.My family thinks I am nuts for wanting to live in Maine and not on Cape Cod :no:

13. bonnie lass

bonnie lass Semper Fi

What an awesome idea, since you have to drive right past my place anyways. I wish there was some way I could ship the seaweed to you :)

14. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

bonnie lass,

Not that far from you. Just north of Boston. It's snowing here and looks so pretty. They said maybe a snow shower - we'll have to see if they are right!

15. bonnie lass

bonnie lass Semper Fi

Hey neighbor, nice to meetcha :D