anyone from Polk County Mo?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by mimsmommy, Mar 18, 2004.

1. mimsmommy

mimsmommy Active Member

Hey neighbors,
    DH and i are looking at a good sized homestead in the Bolivar area. Anyone have any warnings,input or encouragement on the subject? It is a little farther north than we were planning to move, but it was just the perfect setup. However we aren;t familiar with the area and its quirks/problems. Any heads up you can give would be great!
    Now if it just won;t sell until we can decide whether or not to put in an offer!
    Sigh!
    Mimsmommy in Arkansas

2. nice area . Close to two lakes(stockton and pomme de terre) not to far from truman and lake of the ozarks, Truman is surrounded by a ton of gov. land for hunting. Bolivar is a college town but it is small. IF you are from arkansas you know all about hot and humid summers (same here).
    Winters are not to bad, It can get cold and it does snow but it does not last long .

good luck

3. june02bug

june02bug Well-Known Member

Polk County yes, but MO nope, Florida here. :)

4. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

We live in the next county over,in Dallas County.Bolivar seems to have plenty of work.Awsome sale every week at the Sale Barn.

big rockpile

5. paul

paul Gregarious Hermit

6. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

We've been to Bolivar. It seems like a good liason between country/city life... you can still live out a ways and still be close to almost every amenity there is

7. HI! I live here in Bolivar. Glad to see so many around this area! Folks around here can't get much nicer and helpful. It is a collage town, but ALOT of retired folks to (slow driving, breaking at green lights). Good land around most places-maybe a bit rocky and some clay. Are you looking at a place in town or a bit further out? Which road is the place on? Sorry I don't mean to be nosey but I'm so excited that some one else is around these parts. Springfield is about a 20 to 30min drive. I went to school in Pleasant Hope but some of my friends that went to Bolivar seem smart for around here. Ha Ha. If you have any questions just post here and I'll be of any help I can.

missy in mo
    e-mail is missy@microcore.net

8. mimsmommy

mimsmommy Active Member

thanks for the encouraging replies! Well, the property we are looking at right now is in between Halfway and Bolivar. We had originally been focusing on south of Springfield, but we just fell in love with that propertyand we were suprised at how scenic and beautiful the area is--it doesn;t look so hilly on the map. Well, as i wrote before, our luck will be that it will sell before we can get our ducks in a row. I guess i should have more faith in Providence; what will be will be. sigh! Paul-- i am subscribed to your list group--but i was already on here so i posted here first :eek:
    Missy--i will keep you post on whether or not we turn up as neighbors! :) Even if that property sells, we are open to looking in that area now, so who knows where we will end up!
    thanks, y'all!
    mimsmommy

9. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Supporter

For what it's worth... Bolivar was voted #5 on America's best small towns to work and live in, about 6 years ago.