Anyone from or near Cross Plains, Texas??

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Kenneth in NC, May 12, 2004.

1. Kenneth in NC

Kenneth in NC Well-Known Member

Anybody know about Cross Plains Texas? Were going out west this summer and that's one stop my wife has on our itenery. Also there's a house (figures don't it :) ) that she want's to look at.

Any advice, information appreciated.

Thanks,
    Kenneth in NC

2. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

........................Ken, I just closed my road atlas. CP is a small farming community about 15 miles due south of I20. My father was a landman and he would do research at the courthouse in CP trying to discern the ownership of minerals then he would try and contact the people and get them to sign a mineral lease so that somebody could drill a gas\oil well. I think they grow alot of Peanuts around that area. Looks like CP is about 65 miles east of Abilene and maybe 90 miles or so west of Ft. Worth. All those little towns south and North of Interstate 20 are going to be agricultural\farming\cattle raising type of economies. If you like knowing All your neighbors and the local Gossip you'll probably like it around that area. It gets purty HOT in Texas from June till the last part of September. But from Oct. 1st. to May 15th. the weather is real nice , even in the middle of winter. Have fun on your trip.....fordy.. :eek: :)

3. whiterock

whiterock Well-Known Member Supporter

My FIL has relatives at Rising Star which is a neighboring town. The main crop in that area is peanuts. Very small schools, very little in the way of town. Few jobs available close by. You would need to work in Abilene, long commute to Ft. Worth. Stephenville is to the south but is a college town so most jobs go to students.

If you are retired or can work from home it would be a good place to live if you want away from crowds. The FFA is strong in going to stock shows if I remember right.

4. Kenneth in NC

Thanks fordy and whiterock it sounds like a nice place to visit.

When you say HOT is that sticky high humidity HOT or just dry heatstroke hot? :yeeha:

5. Bluebonnet

Bluebonnet Active Member

In between humidity. Less than NC. More than AZ.

Grew up about 40 mi S of there.

6. Kenneth in NC

Whew, Thanks Bluebonnet, was starting to worry. If less than here that will be great.

7. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

.................Ken, the further West you travel from the DFW area the lower the Humidity and the LOWER the yearly rainfall. Once you get past (West of Abilene) to around Sweetwater the annual rainfall really starts to drop. fordy.... :)

8. Wilhelm

Wilhelm Well-Known Member

Cross Plains is also the home town of Rober E. Howard, possibly one of the greatest writers of the 20's and 30's. He invented characters like Conan, Kull, Red Sonja, and many others. His career was tragically cut short by suicide, but his legacy is living on well after his death. I am not sure if they have a museum there for him, but they should. Spectacular writer!