Anyone from Okema OK here?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by FarmGoddess, Jan 18, 2007.

1. FarmGoddess

FarmGoddess Well-Known Member

My sister lives in Okema (sp?) OK. Haven't heard from her since the storm and every time we try to call all we get is a busy signal. Either all the circuits are tied up or the lines are down. Anyone here know anything? Okema is near Cherokee, and that's about all I know.

Thanks.....

2. rockinl

rockinl Well-Known Member

Hi, I live in Oklahoma City. Okemah is about 80 miles east of me, and they got the worst of the bad ice storm last week. Telephone service and electric service is very spotty in those areas still. The government is providing emergency services to the areas, but I am afraid contacting them will take a little bit. The news crews have shown us those areas, and the ice just devastated the utility poles.

I hope your sister is doing well. If I could travel over there, I would, but I haven't left the house for a week due to ice myself!!

Let us know when you get in touch.

Kimberly

3. Dutchie

Dutchie Well-Known Member Supporter

The Okemah area REALLY got hammered with ice so I would not be surprized if the phone lines are down in that area. I am sure they are fine. I may be in that area early next week. If I am I will check on things for you.

4. MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm Well-Known Member

have an aunt and some cousins in Okema. My Daddy's in OK City. Fre brothers in Prior (one without electricity) and a sister in ponca city.

Will keep her in prayers. Let us know if she's okay

5. FarmGoddess

FarmGoddess Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info.

:angel: :angel: :angel:

6. RachAnn in NW Okla

RachAnn in NW Okla Well-Known Member

Okemah, OK US to Cherokee, OK US

Total Est. Time: 3 hours, 48 minutes
    Total Est. Distance: 219.60 miles

all the way across the state (www.mapquest.com if you dont believe me!)

maybe Cherokee County but not the city of Cherokee

[​IMG]

that entire area was hit HARD and most dont have electricity still (about 11,000 OG&E customers!)
    you can look at the OG&E map for the area http://www.oge.com/systemwatch/SystemWatch.Systemwide_1_content.html

then there is another power company for eastern Oklahoma---like "PSO" or something like that.....

Rachel

7. FarmboyBill

FarmboyBill Well-Known Member Supporter

8. OK Yankee

OK Yankee Well-Known Member

We just got our power back on tonight. Half a mile up the road about 4 utility poles came down Saturday night. This is south of Henryetta, in Salem. Also ECE. Roads were terrible, I guess. I finally went to town today. There will be a lot of firewood for next winter. The worst part of the trip was getting out of the driveway!LOL

Yankee

9. belladulcinea

belladulcinea Well-Known Member

Sorry you haven't been able to contact your sister! It's not great around here but it is getting better. Maybe she can get to a shelter somewhere and call you.