Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Where I am it is very windy, cold, and the snow is flying. We are expected to end up with 6-8 inches in our area (E. SD) but the blizzard warning is supposed to last for awhile. At least we still have electriciy.

·
Premium Member
6,012 Posts
News just announced 48" of snow 78 mph winds 10' drifts in Black Hills area. General blizzard thru the western 3/4's of So. Dakota with tapering off toward the eastern part of the state. The forecast for our area is 1" tonight and another 1" tomorrow with 30 mph wind. I pray everyone in the blizzard area is safe and keeping warm.

·
Registered
24,108 Posts
I'm here! The wind is really blowing...snow is coming down. But where I am is nowhere near as bad as the west and north part of the state. We are only supposed to get up to 4"...but throw in the wind and that can be as bad as getting a foot of snow. Should be interesting in the morning to see if I can get out of the driveway... :)

·
Registered
597 Posts
We're in northwestern SD and we got hit bad. Our power was out for a day (but thankfully only a day), and we've been trying to dig out for the last couple of days. The wind was horrific, and the drifts are unbelievable.

These pictures are from AFTER the blizzard, obviously. No way was I going out in it just to take pictures! LOL! We knew it was coming so we had the chickens snugly tucked in their coop and the cows and horses in the barn. They all spent two whole days inside. What a mess.

This is my husband on top of the drift covering the gate into the corral. You can see where we dug out the barn door so the animals could get out. I just hope they don't figure out that they can probably just walk over the fences in several places.

This is the top of an 8' pine tree:

The drift covering the length of our "back yard," including the fence that keeps the dogs in. The field fencing you see is 5' high, so we're guessing at that point, the drift is 8' deep.

Farther down the drift, it's higher, maybe 12' to 14' high:

More drifts...

Up on top of the big drift:

If it would just start melting, we'd be much better off, but it refuses to warm up. The highest temp since the blizzard has only been 27 degrees, and last night it went down to 8 (it's all the way up to 18 right now, argh). We have a LOT more digging to do, but our arms are so tired now I don't know how we're going to do it. At least we can walk on top of the drifts - the wind has them packed down hard.

~Lannie

·
Premium Member
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome and chillingly beautiful.
Thank you for posting those amazing pictures.
Reminds me of "The Long Winter", by Laura Ingals Wilder.

Stef

1 - 8 of 8 Posts