Anyone from Blairsville, Georgia?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Star In N.C., Oct 19, 2004.

1. Star In N.C.

Star In N.C. Well-Known Member

I am trying to talk DH into moving up in that area but I need some more ammo. So will you tell me about Blairsville and if you know of any land for sale with a house already on it. Barn and outbuildings a big, big plus. :)

How is the job market in that area?

Thank you.

Star

2. two_barking_dogs

two_barking_dogs Well-Known Member

I'm from Blairsville so maybe I can answer your questions. Here are 2 websites that might help

http://www.blairsvillechamber.com/

http://www.unioncounty.gov/

There are houses for sale. The northern side of the county up by Murphy is cheaper then the southern side of the county near Vogal.

For jobs it depends on what you do. I'm a computer programmer so I work in Atlanta. But theres talk of a WalMart coming and theres a HomeDepot so sales jobs are available. Plus lots of fast food type places. And 2 colleges in the area if you have an advanced degree.

What we need though is a Tractor Supply.

Mike

3. Star In N.C.

Mike I have worked in assembly and have some computer skills.

Is there a realtor online that handles property on the Northern side?

How about taxes? State, property, County, locale, Sales?

WE don't need but 5 acres or so. A small garden and a open back yard for the kids to play. Some trees to block us off from the neighbors and were happy. DH wants more land but that depends on price.

House wise DH wants stickbuilt (prolly brick would make his heart sing) I can survive in a mobile home to start and build down the road. Barn and outbuildings a must. When we get out of here I don't want to ever have to come back for anything.

Star

4. Star In N.C.

How are the winters up that way? Do you need a 4x4 or would our all wheel drive van do?

Star

5. two_barking_dogs

The first link I gave you is for the Chamber of Commerce. There will be links to about every realtor in town off of that. Finding 5 acres with/without a home on it should be no problem.
    Although there are rules about importing into the county a mobile home thats older then a certain age.

As for taxes Ga has a state income tax of 6% and Union county has a 7% sales tax. Property taxes aren't to bad but my place is taxed as ag so are lower then normal. I did read thou that the county has the 2'nd lowest property taxes in the state and the local gov does seem to be pretty good about not wasting money.

As for jobs construction is the largest employer. Some computer skills might get you a keypunch, wordprocessing, etc type of job. Don't know about assembly jobs.

Winters you get about 2 to 4 cold fronts a year that bring enough snow to mess up the roads for a day of so. Main roads get cleared right away. Its the driveways in the shade that cause problems for people. An all wheel drive van should be ok. Cold days in jan & feb usually are upper teens lower 20's with days in the 40 & 50's mixed in as the fronts blow past. Doesn't seem to bad to me but I'm used to it..

6. Kenneth in NC

Kenneth in NC Well-Known Member

Star I have a cousin that lives up near Blairsville. He's kinda lazy but does seem to be able to change jobs as he wants to. He and his girlfriend bought a 10 acre with a 3bd 2bth 1996 mobile on it for $39,900. Her family lives up that way so he had a place to crash while looking. I'll ask him if he knows of any places for sale up there.

I'd check on locale hospitals I remember that your DH was having health problems some time back. I've driven through that area nice scenery.

Good Luck.

Kenneth in NC

7. Star In N.C.

Since Blairsville is in the "Triangle" as DH calls it where TN and NC and GA meet is the land prices about the same in all 3 corners? Which would offer the best on land, tax, schooling and employment????

Thanks.

Star

8. two_barking_dogs

Here's a little of what I know and what I've heard.

Taxes - Tenn does not have a state income tax. Ga is 6% and I don't know about NC. Property taxes in Tenn I don't know, Ga seems good compared to everywhere else I've lived and the NC area people I know complain about how high their's taxes are.

Land - The farther north you go the cheaper. Blairsville (Union) and Fannin counties have the cheapest mountain area land prices in Ga. NC north of Murphy can be even cheaper depending on where you go. Once looked in Tenn and saw some cheap land and some not so cheap.

Schools - Blairsville has good schools from what I've been told. Don't know about the others.

Employment - YMMV

I suggest you check out the online realtor sites, spend a weekend visiting the area, read the local newspapers and decide what appeals to you.

9. Star In N.C.

I contacted a realtor

You visited my website at www.LiveInBlairsvilleGA.com and expressed an interest in homes here in the North Georgia Mountains. This link will give you an idea of what is available Click here to view properties in Blairsville $125,000 to $175,000. And Click here to view properties for homes in Blue Ridge. This is just a sample of homes in the North Georgia Mountains. We have cabins LESS expensive and all the way up to $1,000,000+.

I sent her what I was looking for:
    Looking for 3-10 acres with mostly trees, 3 bd 2 bth, CH&A, fenced/cross fenced a plus, storage building, garden spot, sweet water (well), Great neighbors, small community, good intermediate school with small classes & terrific teachers, low taxes, inexpensive electricity and some job opportunities for $79,000 or less.

Got this reply today:
    You will probably find that with a mobile home on it and very remote access. Possibly in Kentucky. Barbara Sweeny

I've seen BYOJ (bring your own job) But what does Employment - YMMV mean?

Star

10. two_barking_dogs

Any realtor who answered my request in that manner would not be getting my business. But I've had nothing but bad luck using agents in this area because most of them, if they don't sell you something in the 1'st week will never contact you again. They just want to sell you whats in the inventory at the time. I can give you several stories of useless realestate agents up here who continue to not take my money even when I'm still willing to spend it because they can't keep a contact/wish list. I mean how hard is it to keep a post-it that says that I'm looking for a 10+ acre wooded/pasture lot within 2 miles of my place.

However most of what you wrote is fluff and has nothing to do with a realtor. The realtor doesn't care about your wanting "Great neighbors, small community, good intermediate school with small classes & terrific teachers, low taxes, inexpensive electricity and some job opportunities" But they should be able to sell you a 3 /2 house on 3-10 acres for less then 100k. If you visit make sure you look in the Loving Road area. Its about 15 miles from town on the northern side and should have what you're looking for.

YMMV means Your Mileage May Vary. Good luck

11. Kenneth in NC

Kenneth in NC Well-Known Member

Just got off the phone with Terry (my cousin) he got his deal because his girlfriends family lives up there and knowed the people selling. He said he'd look at the TN side over the GA or NC. In fact if he hadn't got so sweet a deal he would have done that himself.

Best I can do Star. Don't know many people in Georgia.

I have to agree with two_barking_dogs about the realtors BS answer. Course many know how I feel about realtors. :rolleyes:

Good Luck and hope it all works out.

Kenneth in NC