Anyone familiar with the Great Sacandaga Lake area of New York?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Nomad, Sep 3, 2004.

1. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm trying yet again to find a location to relocate to. We have looked into places south of us, but we have decided to find somewhere with 4 well defined seasons that we are used to. Is anyone from this area or have any pertinent information? I know it gets a lot more snow than we do, but that's about all I know. How about home school regulations in New York?

Thanks,

Nomad

2. bluetick

bluetick Well-Known Member

Sorry, I can't help you with the homeschool question.

The Great Sacandaga Lake area is beautiful and sits in the foothills of the Adirondack mountains. Land around the "lake" (it is actually a reservoir, and is used for controlling water flow in the Hudson river) is on the expensive side.

Depending on what you do, finding work could be a problem as there are mostly small towns in the immediate area. The small cities of Amsterdam, Johnstown/Gloversville, and Saratoga Springs are probably within 45 minutes and would have more employment opportunities.

You can check out real estate at http://www.timesunion.com/homes/. The lake is within Saratoga and Fulton counties. A less expensive area is further south, around Dolgeville. Check http://www.unitedcountry.com for that area.

We definitely get 4 seasons, and more snow than Ohio, but we have big snowplows to keep the roads open! Good luck with your search!

3. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

I lived briefly in Saratoga Springs back in 1987....it was a very pretty town based around the race track and to a smaller extent,Skidmore College.

It was very pretty but when it snowed at the end of October it was time to leave for me. :D

Sorry I can't help anymore.

4. PonderosaQ

PonderosaQ Well-Known Member Supporter

Had a friend who lived there for many years. Her husband was as a GM rep and travelled for his job. It's probably MUCH colder and gets much more snow than where you are now. Roads are kept open from what she told me. She loved the soil there, said anything grew. Also said you could almost watch it grow cos if it didn't hurry winter would arrive before it flowered/fruited etc. Eventually the cold winters sent her south but she was very happy in her younger days in that area. She didnt have children so I can't help with schooling info.

PQ

5. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks for the information. I thought there were more folks on here from NY, but maybe they aren't in that area.

Nomad