Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hubby and I are going to SD for a family Christmas next week. I'm looking for a ram for the girls.

I'm thinking of stopping in Iowa to view Crane Creek rams. He seems to have a slew of them!

Has anyone here had any experience with CC?

·
In memoriam
79,016 Posts
I dont have any personal experience with them, but I've seen them in the Dorper Breeder's magazine over the years, and they seem to have top quality animals.
Expect the prices to reflect that if youre looking for Fullblooded or Purebred animals

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, he has a full blood ram available for $500 for me. The ram looks really good, but he has a little extra color.

How much of that is passed on to his offspring?

I'm not into showing, but in case I want to sell ewe lambs, it's a consideration.

He was a single, born Aug 16th, 2008. No grain to ewe or lamb.

·
sheep & antenna farming
2,845 Posts
Crane Creek is actually female, BTW. It's really Stephanie Mitcham and daughter Allison Mitcham. I believe Stephanie is a veterinarian. No direct dealings with them but never heard anything negative either. They are a little over a hundred miles from us.

Peg

·
In memoriam
79,016 Posts
Colors can vary no matter what so I wouldnt be too concerned with that.
$500 is a reasonable price for him, judging from the picture.
I imagine if it werent for the black on his neck , he'd be a few hundred more.

Is he registered? His ancestry will also have an effect on his offspring, so I'd want to see some multiple births there since he was a single himself, although I have had singles that didnt pass that trait along

Mine are Dorper/Katahdin crosses, and I have a black ewe that has given birth to all white lambs, all black lambs, and just a week ago had twins with one black with white specks, and one red with white markings.
My Ram is 3/4 Dorper and is white with a black head.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Not sure how it works for your breed...usually our lambs have singles on their first lambing...and from there on out will twin...agree with previous post - quick look at the pedigree will answer the question...and consider the age of mama - was she a young lamb - or an older ewe - that he was a single?

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah, well, she didn't have papers on this little guy, OR his mom. I didn't want to have to pay to paper Mom, so we went with another ram, named Gable, as in Clark. The new ram is already wooing one of the ewes that came along with him from Iowa.

·
In memoriam
79,016 Posts
Ah, well, she didn't have papers on this little guy, OR his mom. I didn't want to have to pay to paper Mom, so we went with another ram, named Gable, as in Clark. The new ram is already wooing one of the ewes that came along with him from Iowa.

That makes the price pretty high.
It was a reasonable price for a REGISTERED Ram
He sure was pretty though

1 - 8 of 8 Posts