anyone experiencing strange bug bites?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by MELOC, Jun 2, 2006.

1. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

in april, during a morel expedition i had a definate tick bite. i know a little about lyme disease as i have been to the doctor (with no positive results) and have read a great deal online about it. during the same trip, i got what i think was poison oak. some of those lesions are still healing on my arm. on my leg, i had a similar lesion but it developed a 1.5 inch red/bruised area with strange, slightly wrinkled looking skin. it is still healing.

i suspected possible chigger bites as well as poison and tick bites. it could just be coincidence or a combo of all the above. i hate being this vague, but i had symptoms of all the afore mentioned ailments. i definately had two tick bites on my stomach, one i removed just as it started to bite. on my arm i am sure i had poison of some type. i suspected a chigger bite on my leg with the red welt and strange wrinkled skin. this was all at the same time basically. all of the areas seemed to be similar in discomfort...they itched terribly.

today, my brother stopped by and showed me a 3-4 inch red circle on his arm/shoulder. it was not bullseye in appearance, like i have seen examples of lyme disease. he thinks it was a skeeter of some kind or some other flying bug as he swated his arm when he felt the bite but never saw anything. he said that last night it was a raised welt. today, it was not raised but was red and large.

what in the world is going on? is anyone else having strange bites?

2. roughingit

roughingit knitwit

Yep! Lately when I get mosquito bites that turn big and red with a large puffy white middle. Now I have bites on my back and shoulders (the shoulder bites occured *through* a tee-shirt and flannel!). I can't see the ones on my back very well, from what I can tell, they look the same, yet I always wear t-shirt so my back is not exposed when I'm outside. They are driving me nuts since I have them on both sides of my back. I'm not a tummy sleeper and no matter what way I angle, I'm laying on one of those darn bites!

3. emulkahi1

emulkahi1 Well-Known Member

Rocky Mtn Spotted Fever is another possibe malady one can get from a tick bite. Though I am not familiar w/ the symptoms and if they match what you've described. Just thought I'd mention it, so maybe you could check into it if you hadn't already...

Erin

4. MELOC

i had forgotten about rocky mtn. spotted fever. my cousin had that back in the seventies. i think his lips swelled up terribly. he was in bad shape but pulled through it ok. i don't think that is a concern now as it has been since april. it was more of a skin condition and not an illness. thanks for the reminder!!!

5. laith

laith Active Member

My son and I were in pittsburg kansas over the holiday and both got bites around are sock and underwear line as well as other parts of the body itchy as hell and I have been nothing but tirered since.

6. Rockin'B

Rockin'B Well-Known Member

That sounds like chiggers to me....

7. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

A friend of mine just got bit by a tick and had some issues with it -- she thought it might be Lyme disease, but the dr says "no". It turns out you can get staph infection from them, too -- might want to check that.

8. bugstabber

bugstabber Chief cook & weed puller Supporter

I get big welts from gnat bites. I think they call them buffalo gnats. Anyway these things itch, and can last a couple of weeks. This is nothing new around here though, going on for at least ten years now.

9. CrazyMooseFarm

CrazyMooseFarm I love hockey

10. bugstabber

bugstabber Chief cook & weed puller Supporter

Thanks for that website, it's a good one!

11. Hears The Water

Hears The Water Well-Known Member Supporter

I am near Joplin MO, and last year as well as the year before we had a new bug in the area. It bites are a bit like chiggers, but they don't bite in the same areas as chiggers. They itch worse than chiggers as well as get infected pretty quickly. Let me see if I can find the articles on them. Meloc, where are you at? Laith, I know you said that you where in the area. I will post what ever I can find. Hope it helps.
    God bless you and yours
    Debbie

12. Hears The Water

Hears The Water Well-Known Member Supporter

Does any of this sound familure? The Pittsburg State Universtiy that is mentioned in the first article is in Pittsburg KS. I have a friend whose son was bitten by these things and the poor kid just about went nuts! I hope that this helps.

http://www.ces.purdue.edu/ces/Vanderburgh/horticulture/itchmites.pdf

God bless you and yours
    Debbie

13. MELOC

i am in south central pa.