Anyone ever try Thatching.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by moopups, Sep 12, 2005.

1. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur, Don...

2. WanderingOak

WanderingOak Well-Known Member

There was an old counterculture book called 'Shelter' written back in the 60's/70's. I believe it came out in reprint a few years ago. I remember it had a few pages on thatching, with diagrams, etc. If you are ever in England, check out West Stowe Village, which was constructed using traditional means with thatched roofs. Also, there are a few 'primative skills' websites out there, many of which have detailed instructions with photographs. One such site that I have found is http://www.primitiveways.com/ . I am sure there are many others.

3. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

We were planning to try it this winter on some of our portable animal shelters, to add a bit insulation and keep them warmer.

We've had great luck using this slow approach, trying new skills on small-scale and low risk projects until we gain some expertise...

4. Valduare

Valduare Well-Known Member

when i get back to washington some day i am going to redo the roof on my archery target and go with a thatched roof it whould be pretty entertaining to see.

5. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    There used to be a fellow on this board and he may still post over at Todays Homestead who was English and a Thatcher by trade. I think his nickname on the Board was Thatcher or some such variation. Im sure he could tell you a great deal unless they are trade secrets. :rolleyes:

6. Don Armstrong

Don Armstrong In Remembrance

It was Thatch. He's still here - posted on another thread of Valduare's in the last day.

Maybe so, but I just do it occasionally for fun. ;)

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari? :nerd: :sing: :D

7. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

Don, that would relate to whether it was soft wood or hard wood, and the moisture content, don't we all know; Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes! :p

And for thatching, first there are cross poles to which the bundles of material are tied, in an over lapping manor.

8. Valduare

im not use to not know what people are talking about on my threads lmao what are you guys doing :p

9. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

Relax, we are just breaking you in gently!

10. Valduare

hehe WTB translator!