Anyone ever painted electric baseboards?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Nette, Apr 30, 2005.

1. Nette

Nette Well-Known Member Supporter

Has anyone ever painted their electric baseboard units? Or maybe it would be more correct to say, the covers? The units in my old farmhouse work fine, but are a yucky brown, with rust in some places. I'd like them to be white. Has anyone had any experience with this type project?

2. uyk7

uyk7 Well-Known Member

You would probably want to buy paint that is used on hot items. They do sell paint for use on grills so that would probably be what you would want to use, even though the heater doesn't get that hot. Be sure to make sure it is ok to use indoors though so that it doesn't give off any fumes.

3. patarini

patarini Well-Known Member

I always used latex -- the covers are at room temp so no need for high temp paint. But there is no risk in painting them, better if you can take the cover off and paint it so paint doesnt drip into it tho!

4. DAVID In Wisconsin

DAVID In Wisconsin Well-Known Member

I'm a painter who paints them all the time. It's easy. Clean them up as good as you can, spray them with a stainkiller (Kilz or something similar) and paint them with any paint you like. A high temperature paint is not necessary. These registers do get hot but not nearly hot enough for a high temp paint.

5. D

D Well-Known Member

My ex used to say if it's metal you're painting, then after you sand off the rust, and clean it up with rubbing alcohol, to use a high quality Krylon spray paint if you want it to be fairly permanent. (But he wasn't as cheap/frugal as most of us HTers.) I would try to remove the covers if at all possible. Good luck.

6. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

I just bought some High Temp paint from the HD and am ready to do my Gas baseboards, the ones next to the toilet. You guys and moms know why I have to repaint them. You should have seen the guys faces at HD when I told them WHY I had to repaint those heaters. What a riot!

7. dscott7972

dscott7972 Well-Known Member

I'm a painter also and paint them all the time, even the ones in my house but we never use them since I have a wood furnace. Unless they are rusted a quick sand and latex wall or trim paint.

8. Nette

Nette Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks, everybody! If this grass around here will ever slow down, I think I'll try to tackle this painting project.