Anyone ever own an '86 F250?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Gypsy, Mar 22, 2005.

1. Gypsy

Gypsy Well-Known Member

We had an offer to buy a 1986 F250 Super Duty (71K miles and no rust) for $2K even. We know the fella selling the truck and believe that he is the sort to take good care of his vehicles. I'm going tomorrow to look at the truck, but was just wondering if anyone here can speak to this particular truck. Is there anything in particular I should be looking for? Thanks in advance.

2. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

If that is actual miles,it runs and is solid,its worth it.It will drink the gas though.

big rockpile

3. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

...............If , by chance this has the 6.9 diesel , it should get good fuel milage but they don't have very much pulling power unless some previous owner added a turbo to the engine . The BIG expense on these trucks was having to have the injector pump repaired\replaced . Would take it to a mechanic and let Him check it out if it appears to be in decent shape . fordy.. :eek: :)

4. VonWolfen

VonWolfen Well-Known Member

I owned one for several years. It was previously noted about the injection pump if it is the 6.9 diesel. If the Supercab, it will have a two piece drive shaft that was a fail area in my truck. If 2 wheel drive, they can be hard on ball joints and tie rods. Sounds like a good deal if it is well maintained.

5. Ozarks_1

Ozarks_1 Well-Known Member

I've had '85 (4x4) and an '87 (2WD Diesel) F-250s ... and have NOTHING nice to say about either of them! Without exception they were the biggest pieces of crap I've ever owned.

6. LisaBug

LisaBug Well-Known Member

We had an '87 F-250 Heavy Duty, gas, Supercab that was an awesome truck. Hubby put thousands of miles on it. We drove it until he started traveling much more. It never gave us major problems, not many minor ones either. It used alot of gas but hey, it had a big engine. Now my truck is a '97 F-250 Heavy Duty, super cab, gas and it couldn't be better. Sure we've done brakes and such but it's been a much better truck than hubby's '98 F-250. Would I buy either of the '87 or '97 again? You betcha!

LisaBug