Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
45,468 Posts
I traveled there for two weeks with my mom, then she stayed and extra week. The weather is cool and rainy much of the time, which is why it's so green.

As tourists, we loved it. Beautiful, friendly, interesting.

Dunno what it would be like to live there.

The economy is very depressed. Unemployment is very high.

·
Registered
7,100 Posts
I visited there many years age, the amazing thing was that they eat about the same as we do. I went into a resturant and ordered a bowl of chili, the waiter brought a bowl of sauce and a plate of beans.

He counted out 239 beans, I asked 'Whats this', he repied, 'here you get 239 beans, more than that would be two forty', delivered in a thick Irish brough.

·
Premium Member
3,944 Posts
They're desperate for workers so it's a good chance you could immigrate there fairly easily. My good friend was there for over 3 months doing technical training.

·
Premium Member
23,924 Posts
sancraft said:
How did you like it?

Are you thinking of going over there?

Pony!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Sancraft,

My total experience consists of two trips to the UK and Ireland, lasting a total of less than four weeks. I'm no expert. My wife and I flew there, rented a car, and toured both islands. We stayed in B&Bs, ate in local pubs and restaurants, and tried to interact with the locals as much as possible. We had deligtful times and met many wonderful folks.

On the other hand, we felt that all of the countries were somewhat backwards. Their "supermarts" are little more than our convenience stores. Prices of everything were much higher than in America. Taxes are very high. Government housing was everywhere. Land use restrictions are oppressive. Cars are tiny and uncomfortable. Heating and plumbing in houses are substandard by comparison to our homes.

All in all, I'd love to visit again, and I'd like to live there for a few months. But when it's all said and done, there's no place like home in America.

At least, that's my opinion.

Tom in TN

·
Registered
11,076 Posts
I have no experience with Ireland whatsoever, but I did hear a local doctor speaking about it a couple of weeks ago on the radio. He has been involved with the Ulster youth exchange for some time now.

He stated that Catholic and protestant segregation is alive and well. Curbs on streets and banners declare where each live and residents don't venture into the others territory, nor do they visit with each other at all. Certainly not my cup of tea if that is indeed true.

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I may have an opportunity to go there for a year and work. I'm not sure about it though. It's a beautiful place, but I dont know if I want to give up a year of my life.

·
Halfway, OR & Wagoner, OK
3,306 Posts
sancraft said:
I may have an opportunity to go there for a year and work. I'm not sure about it though. It's a beautiful place, but I dont know if I want to give up a year of my life.
Give up a year? OMG! I think it sounds like the opportunity of a lifetime.

My daughter is a world traveller--been all over. She said her favorite place was Ireland. The people are delightful. The countryside is lovely.

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
sancraft said:

You've been holding out on me - info wise....
And how I'm I suppose to drive over there to visit? Do they have cabins?
This sounds very interesting. I sure could see E there and D would do well also, or she might want to stay here.

Oh my.
Angie

·
Premium Member
23,924 Posts
sancraft said:
Oh, I am so with Wildwood Flower on this one. You'd not be giving up a year of your life, you'd be enhancing it, and the lives of your children as well.

It's only a year -- and what a year of experiences, growth, and learning it could be.

Heck, I'd certainly research it at least.

As for The Troubles, that's mostly in the more populous areas of the North. I'm sure Ulster will always have its problems, but that's true of any city. Heck, there are problems in Chicago, but that doesn't make it a DMZ (well, not most of it... ;))

Seriously, you can't go wrong by at least giving it careful consideration. A year is only twelve months. The potential for good things may well outweigh the negatives.

Good luck in your considerations!

Pony!

·
Failure is not an option.
2,623 Posts
Hey.

Taxes are high. Houses and land are more expensive than the US for what you get. Gas is expensive...they use the little rollerskate cars. Dublin and Belfast aren't the warzones of yesteryear. People are extremly friendly and LIKE Americans. Just about everybody I talked to had relatives in The States. Hurling is the sport to see. You'd be stupid not to go.

RF

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
Getting to visit Ireland has been one of my dreams for many many years. I actually have a subscription to "Irish Life" (I think that's it's title not positive)...and in the last few years the building of what we refer to as McMansions, and the extentions out into the country of what we call bedroom communities are causing me to think the Ireland I have dreamed of is rapidly disappearing.

Even so, if I did not have the obligations I currently have, I would jump at the opportunity to spend a year there, even if it did mean a difficult job :)

Hugs,
Marlene

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
My husband spent one year of high school there, then later went to Cork University. If the economy hadn't been so bad, he would have stayed there. There was a lot of emmigration until the EU pumped it up. It's a pleasant country. The summers are cooler, but the winters are warmer. If you want to live there, you'll need to learn the accent. They have respect for education, and at one time had a literate society when the rest of Europe did not. I believe their literacy rate now is 98% (U.S. is about 70 to 85%, depending on the study).

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
sancraft said:
They're not going to imprison you. It's an opportunity! You will love it. If you were a college student you would be paying somebody for the priveledge of studying abroad. They're going to be paying you. Too cool :hobbyhors

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would have to give up everything here, land, truck, cabin. I wouldn't make enough to pay for living there and keep the things I have here. Land has more than double since I bought it, so rebuying when I get back may not be possible. Also, smaller tracts, under 100acs. are hard to come by now. I'd have to give up my job here and that means I lose my insurance. I wouldn't get insurance there. I would have to come back and basically start over. Oldest DD wuld stay here and live in the house and take care of the cats. They aren't willing to give up the cats, especially our special needs kitty who we bottle raised from 4 weeks old. SHe still has to get her water froma bottle and has to be spoon fed. I don't know if I want to give up pretty much everything I have for one year and come back having to look for a job in this economy, that offers benefits. I have some medical issues and don't know if I;m comfortable being without insurance and me and youngest DD.

·
Registered
81 Posts
My son and his wife traveled to Shannon, Ireland over Christmas. They brought back tons of pictures which we all enjoyed.
The land is green but different somehow and the abandoned castles along the beach were beautiful but creepy.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Husband and I spent a month in Ireland in 1984 - loved it and the people. Then in 2006 we took our 3 children and spent a month - loved it and the people. Go - it will be a wonderful opportunity. Read and research before you go so it will be more meaningful.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.