anyone ever litter trained a rabbit???

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by peacefullone, Jul 14, 2005.

1. peacefullone

peacefullone Member

I would love to know more about how to do this. My son (he's 8) has two meat rabbits and would like to know how to litter train them. These rabbits are so friendly.

thanks

Holly

2. trixiwick

trixiwick bunny slave

Piece of cake, or at least it has been for me. Your rabbit will pick a corner of its cage as a "toilet" and pretty much stick to it. You just put a litter box in that corner of the cage and sprinkle a few bunny berries in it so they get the idea. If they try to toss it aside (annoyed because it's in the way of their toilet!), you can fix it in place. I have made creative use of a hole puncher and a twist tie to secure a box to a cage so that rabbits couldn't move it aside.

The first time or two you clean out the box, save a few berries for the clean box, so the rabbit remembers what the box is for. You shouldn't have to do that for very long. In my experience, rabbits take quickly to the concept. Good luck!

3. bill not in oh

bill not in oh Well-Known Member

Word of caution... We litter box trained the first two rabbits my wife got - a buck and a doe. Then decided to switch from solid floors to wire and did away with the boxes. When we put a nest box in with the doe (3 months after doing away with the litter boxes) she decided it was a litter box and used it as such. I'm not certain whether this had anything to do with the fact that she's not a very good mother (the litter born yesterday: 8 babies, she cleaned two of them up... was the most successful yet). We wrote the first one off to her being very young (6 mos. as I recall - was an 'oops' breeding), but this last one???

One of the other does that we aquired after switching to wire had a litter of 9 and we have eight healthy happy six week old bunnies with no issues of using the nest box as a litter box.

My point is that there may be a corelation between the litter box training and nest box use (at least in this case). I hope some folks with more experience than me have opinions about this...

4. trixiwick

trixiwick bunny slave

That's interesting, Bill. If the cage is big enough, a possible solution might be to add a second box as a nesting box. Two of our rabbits have this, as they prefer to use one box as a toilet and one as a comfy bed. :rolleyes: