Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a big compost/manure pile I leave in place to slowly decompose. Last year in it I had volunteer squash, pumpkin, tomatoes, fruit trees, sunflowers, etc, sprouting, apparently from seed from kitchen waste. Kind of made me wonder if I'm working too hard at this. Maybe make the whole garden a compost pile and dump seed into it and see what happens. Kind of sounds fun to see what surprises I'd get.

·
Very Dairy
14,609 Posts
Yes. :)

I had foxgloves (my favorite flower) naturalizing freely throughout the woods at my old place. Real pretty in springtime ... looking forward to seeing that again here. :)

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
I try it but didn't get enough rain here last year. When I got the itch to buy more seed and left some paper packets out in the rain I planted everything real quick- some with 2006 dates so I figured the gamble beats throwing them away.

·
Just howling at the moon
6,586 Posts
In my younger days we would chuck seed of a certain plant all along creeks. Some of it grew pretty good.

·
Happy Scrounger
13,634 Posts
I tried that with mangel 2 years ago. oh my. WHAT a disaster. I couldn't get to the seeds to weed them and thin them without stepping ON other mangels. The weeds took over. I still have mangels growing in strange spots around the edges of the garden area...and along the field edge...and in the woods....

·
Registered
386 Posts
Yes. thought I would use up the extra seed last spring and planted seed and plants in with our sunflower field. only got one tomato and nothing else produced fruit - other weeds shaded it too much.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Flowers tend to do the best in this regard or vegetables that grow like weeds, like cilantro or lettuce. I wouldn't expect to get any feasible harvest out of it though :)

·
Happy Scrounger
13,634 Posts
ah...flowers :) I'd forgotten that I'd done the "scatter seeds and see what grows" in the flower garden. This is a corner of one of the areas. very "english cottage"

Come to think of it...I did just scatter mesculin mix over an 8x8 plot. It was well raked before hand...The lettuce grew up fast and crowded out all the weeds. Had plenty of greens that year.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts