Anyone ever have problems with red wolves.

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Goat Freak, Aug 12, 2006.

1. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

Turns out that the goverment, or something like that, released about 300 red wolves in out area, we wouldn't have even known if it weren't for my brother being told by a cop at school. They didn't send out a notice or anything! Has anyone had problems with red wolves, or wolves, attacking there livestock? It seems pretty stupid to release 300 wolves in a community that has lots of livestock. They've only been here for about 2 weeks now, you don't think they would dig under the fence do ya? I'm a little bit nervous right now, I hate the idea of having any more possible predators in the area. THank you in advance for any posts.
    -Goat Freak-

2. lgslgs

lgslgs Well-Known Member

Hi Goat Freak -

I think that whoever told you that got a bit of thier information crossed.

There have been red wolf releases to try to save them from extinction. Florida is one of the release areas, as are North Carolina and other states.

BUT - the total estimated population of red wolves in the entire US is currently only 300 animals.

I think the two pieces of info got crossed. You can read more here: http://www.fws.gov/species/species_accounts/bio_rwol.html

You've probably got a lot more stray pit bulls, German Shephards, and even poodles in your immediate area than red wolves.

Lynda

3. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

Canines of all sorts will dig under a fence. My turkey farmer friends used to put an electric wire out from the base of the fence about 2 feet and 8" above the ground. The support would flip up for mowing.

Then the coyotes would simply sit about 150' from the fence and the turkeys being what they are would fly over the fence for a better look. Ooops!

4. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

anyone with livestock, especially in areas where preditors are abundant, needs to invest in some sort of livestock guardian, weather its a Donkey, Llama, or LGD, my personal preferince is LGD's because of the wider range of preditors that they keep away, but any of these will be better than nothing,

if you know you have wolfs or even Coyotes or any other sort of preditor the wise thing to do would be to have secure fence and an Live Stock Guardian this way your animals can be protected 24/7 with out haveing to do battle with Mother Nature in a Negative mannor,

5. Goat Freak

THanks guys, some cop at my brothers school told my little brother, and I feel a lot better now. Thanks.
    -Sara-

6. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

Go to http://lgd.org check out the Library and if you are attracted to a dog photo at the top of the page, click on it.

I swear by these dogs. The sooner you get one (a pair is better...opposite sex) the more relaxed you will be. It takes 2-3 years to grow these dogs up so it is better to do it now and be ahead of the game then to wait until you need one.

7. Goat Freak

Thanks, I just don't think that my dad will let us get any, unless we get rid of our trouble making dogs, which I don't want to do seeing as how me and my brother are trying to train them, although it's not going well.

8. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

You will most likely loose an animal to domestic dogs than wolves or coyotes . Domestic dogs kill for the fun of it.

9. Goat Freak

Trust me, I know, our neighbors dog killed one of our babies, and attacked the buckling that we spent $600 on, and traveled across the state to get. He only attacked the goats that would run, he liked to play with them. Funny thing is that he is still alive, the neighbor never offered to get rid of him, even though he saw me crying my eyes out. He's a great neighbor in every way, other than how he handled his dog, and for that I can't really forgive him.

10. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

in the country there is the SSS rule, if someones dog comes onto YOUR property and harrasses, kills, maims, eats, or even looks wrong at your livestock or children, you have the right to Shoot Shuvel, and Shutup, there is not sence in letting problem dogs be alowed to continue causeing problems, next time that dog comes to your property and causes problems use the SSS rule

11. Goat Freak

I have a certain neighbors dog I'd like to do that to, now if only I could catch him coming onto our place again. Thank you KSALguy. Bye.