Anyone ever grown ginger?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by thequeensblessing, May 23, 2005.

1. thequeensblessing

thequeensblessing Well-Known Member

My mom bought some ginger root from the grocery store and planted it. She gave it to me yesterday. It is now growing and looks promising. The problem is, I don't know anything about growing ginger root. Anyone know anything about it? Does it have to grow indoors here in Ohio or can it be planted outdoors? Do I have to let it grow for a few seasons before harvesting the roots? Will it spread and need to be divided? As you can see, I know nothing about ginger, but I suppose this is the best way to learn.
    Thanks in advance for all advice and suggestions.

2. jrw422

jrw422 Well-Known Member

3. smokie

smokie Well-Known Member

you can grow it outside, i live in michigan and harvest wild ginger.

4. desertdreamer

desertdreamer Well-Known Member

5. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

Propagate by root division. Make sure the ginger root you wish to propagate from has not been treated to prevent sprouting. Pieces of root may be placed in a shallow large (about 40 litre capacity) container of potting soil or sand. Ginger prefers a soil with a pH of 6.0-8.0. Make sure the ‘eyes’ are in an upright position when planting. Bury only and 2cm deep. Keep in a warm, sunny position. Water well and keep it moist, but not wet. It will take at least a month to sprout, and the root may be harvested after 5-6 months. After they sprout and form a good root system, they may be transplanted to the garden and spaced 30cm apart. In warmer regions, ginger should be grown in light shade, but in cooler areas it should be grown in full sun. It should be given plenty of water. When grown in containers they should be moved into a cool storage area before frost. Let the tops of the plants dry and turn yellow after which they are trimmed off. They should be watered every month just to keep the roots from drying out. When spring arrives, they can be moved to a sunny, sheltered place to start top growth. In hotter areas, it is best grown in partial shade. More than one plant should be grown so you can have starter roots for the next year's plants. Ginger will not stand the cold, and if over-watered the root will rot. Ginger will seldom flower if grown indoors or in a pot.

Harvesting: Roots may be dug with a spading fork just before frost, or when the pot is full, or the leaves begin to die down. If grown in a pot, the plant should be 8-12 months old before harvesting. To harvest from containers, dump out the roots or feel for them with your hands. Cut off leaf stalks and remove the root, keep as much as required and plant the rest. Store them at room temperature. Ginger root may be grated or sliced for fresh use, or crystallised. They may also be dried and ground. Keep fresh root refrigerated; wrap loosely in paper towel, then plastic. Will keep several months.

6. MoBarger

MoBarger Goat's Milk soap for sale

I tired but my geese ate it all :(

7. Lisa A

Lisa A Well-Known Member

Store-type ginger plants are killed by hard frost, I do know that...

8. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

store ginger, or brown skinned ginger, is a ntaive of jamacia , andtropicl regions, it can still be grown outside, but dont expect roots the size of the ones youbought in the store, in cold areas mulch HEAVILY in late fall, before frost,and you will probobly save it, but of course the best bet would be, plant it in the growund, and dig in fall, like a potato, store in root cellar till january, bring it up and pot it with your other veggie starts, then transplant to the ground .. etc ...
    i got VERY lucky and bought alb of ginger root, from the store for 99 cents , it was starting to sprout, and those are pretty much the insturctions i got on it